Do Grease Seals Need to be Replaced When Changing Out Brake Shoes on a 12k Dump Trailer
Have a 12k LB dump trailer with 12x2 brake pads Redline BP04-150. Dont know what seals are in back of each inside bearing. Has been 16 months since last new pads - implied usage. Do I need to replace the grease seals with new pads?
asked by: David
As long as the seals are in good condition, you should not need to change them out in order to replace your current brake shoes, because the assembly itself will stay mounted and the seal would come off with the hub drum.
As a suggestion, however, while you have your hub drum off to replace the shoes, I would also just go ahead and repack your bearings. If you did this you would have to replace the seal, but with the amount of usage it sounds like your trailer is getting, it would be a good idea, if just to avoid future bearing problems.
I have included a link to a video that will walk you through changing out your brake shoes, as well as one demonstrationg how you would repack your bearings, if needed.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Trailer Hub Seal Recommendation for Hub with Bearings 15123 and 25580
- How To Determine Which Grease Seal Fits Dexter 6,000lb Axle
- Picking Out Replacement Grease Seals for 7,000 lb Trailer Axle
- Which Replacement Bearings And Grease Seal For Lippert 5200lb Axle?
- Grease Seal Replacement Recomendation for Lippert Seal 122088
- Differences Between # RB06-070 and # RG06-090 Grease Seals
- Replacement Grease Seals For A 6K Lippert Axle # 22333
- Replacement Electric Brakes For A Tandem Axle Trailer
- Replacement Bearing Kit With Seal for 7000 lb Lippert Axle
- How To Determine The Correct Grease Seals For Your Spindle
- Difference Between Grease Seals with Same Inner and Outer Diameter but Different Part Numbers
- Disc Brakes With 1/2 Inch Wheel Bolts For 5th Wheel With 7,000 lb Dexter Axles
- Which Grease Seal Will Fit a Dexter K71-305-00 For My Trailer Axle
- Determining Correct Replacement Bearings for Eclipse Toy Hauler
- Will Grease Seal RG06-070 Replace the Dexter Seal K71-386-00
- Replacement Grease Seals, Studs, and Lugs for 7,000 lb Dexter Axle
- Replacement Bearings for 5,200 lb Lippert Trailer Hub 122093
- Replacement Dexter Seal for 6,500 Axle K71-386-00
- Recommended Brake Assemblies And Grease Seals For A 2019 Grand Design Solitude ST2930RL
- Replacement Grease Seal for Transcom TCM22333TBN
- Are Trailer Grease Seals # RG06-070 and # GS-2250DL the Same
- Dexter 010-036-00 Seal Replacement
- Are the 10-36 Trailer Grease Seals Rubber Encased Therefore Do Not Require Gasket Maker
- Comparing TruRyde 10-36 Grease and Dexter 10-63 Oil Seal
- Locating Replacement Grease Seal for Harbor Freight Trailer with 1.21 Inch Inner Diameter
- How to Determine which Dexter Axle is on a Trailer
- Bearing Kit for Dexter Trailer Axle D52
- Replacement Grease Seals and Wheel Bearings For Dexter D52 Axle With 8-201 Brake Drums
- Grease Seal Recommendation for Dexter 7,000 lb Axle Hub