bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Venting a Sprinter Cargo Van to Keep Interior Temperatures from Climbing in Summer


I have a non insulated cargo van which I use for flower deliveries. Just recently got the account .... Now I live in the great white north Calgary Alberta , so my climate varies greatly from -30 C to plus 30 C Heating and cooling the box so the flowers dont wilt in transit for approximately 2.5 hours is the concern I was told if I just vent the box, roof top vents, at highway speeds there will be enough circulation to prevent them from cooking. Are any of the pop up style vents capable of 60 mph wind without ripping apart? The plan would be to have one induction vent at the front, and an exhaust vent at the rear. Also need to be able to open and close these vents from inside the cargo area, the rooftop is 9feet high. For winter, I will need to prevent cold air from entering these ports. What can I stuff into the vent? Moving blankets and an AC plug in type space heater maybe all Ill need to take the edge of cold off the flowers. Will look at insulating the box as well. That reflective liner I see in videos is my preference over spray foam and it should be a lot cheaper too! Please offer any suggestions and advice. Thank you


Expert Reply:

The Redline 2-Piece Polypropylene Trailer Vent # HMAV2-AVT2 that you referenced is a good option for your application in the summer time, but this vent does not allow you to seal it off in the cold months. A good option for your application is a butterfly-type vent that will allow you to open and close the air flow as required. Redline offers their round butterfly vent # 371800 that is shown in the linked video. This vent will withstand highway speeds but do note that there will be some noise generated by any type of vents installed.

I suggest using multiple vents on the front side of the trailer at different heights and at least one in the back near the roofline to where the hot air will tend to rise.

We offer install kits for different types of trailer surfaces, Camco # CAM25003 for metal walls and part # CAM25013 for rubber surfaces.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>