What is Ideal Weight Load on Trailer Springs to Provide Good Ride Quality
What percentage of weight on a trailer springs capacity is considered an ideal weight to tow? Ex: If the load is too light 1000lbs, the trailer will ride stiff 3500 lbs springs if the load is too heavy 3500+lbs, the trailer will bounce up and down. 3500lbs springs
asked by: Henry P
Helpful Expert Reply:
Naturally a trailer should always be loaded within its rated capacity, but indeed an unloaded or lightly-loaded trailer will have more bounce and handle a bit rougher than one that is loaded up to say 75-percent of its capacity.
There is no actual rule of thumb on this. Apart from the weight of the load on the trailer you also have to consider the manner of how that load is positioned as this too affects ride quality. If you can increase the tongue weight (TW) load on the trailer by loading cargo more forward this will tend to reduce rear-end sway and improve overall handling.
You might care to review the linked article that incudes information on trailer loading.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- How Do I Know If My 10k AL-KO/Hayes Brake Caliper Is For The Right Or Left Side Of A Trailer
- Is The Furrion 34" FF34SC15A-BL Fireplace Available?
- Recommended Hitch and Cargo Carrier for a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport
- What Replacement Parts Do I Need For My Solera Awning
- Choosing a Spare Tire Cover to Fit Your Tire
- How To Replace A Broken Wheel Stud
- Power Adapter for Furrion Camera Systems on 2022 Silverado and Sierra Trucks
- Replacement Disc Brake Caliper Needed For A 10,000 Pound Hayes Axle
- Choosing Between Curt TruTrack & Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Systems for Keystone Travel Trailer
- Fit and Adjustability of Roof Rack for 2012 Prius V wagon
- Replacement Tail Light for a 2020 Jayco Redhawk Motorhome
- Is There A Storage Container Option That Will Go Under The Lippert SolidSteps?
- Replacement Key for Bauer AE Series Lock
- Front and Rear Air Bag Suspension and Onboard Air Compressor for a 2022 Thor Quantum KW29 motorhome
- Trailer Hitch for 2023 Kia Sportage EV
- Tire Grip Vehicle Traction Recovery Tracks for Boat Ramp Use
- Recommended Replacement Divider Latch for Horse Trailers
- B&W Companion Replacement Base for Ford Prep Package
- How To Haul A Motorcycle On The Front Of My 2017 Nissan NV3500
- Correct Snow Tire Chains For A 2010 Honda CRV
- Replacement Inner And Outer Bearing With Seal For A 1998 Kwik Kamp Camper Trailer
- Replacement For A 57915.331 Dometic Duo-Therm AC Unit
- Bright LED Clearance Light for Side of Horse Trailer for Visibility
- Suspension Upgrade for 2015 Keystone Carbon 347
- Recommending A Replacement Hub And Bearings For A 2019 Forest River Wildwood Toy Hauler
- Replacement Base Assembly for Thule Xporter Pro Ladder Rack
- Axle Lift Kit For A 2022 Forest River 29TE
- Recommended Air Bag Suspension Kit for a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD