Using Tongue Weight Scale to Determine Tongue Weight of Trailer
I am looking into the Trailer Tongue Weight Scale and noticed in the video you are weighing at the Jack, which is what I would buy this unit to do. By weighing at the Jack, how do you know how much the actual tongue weight is? My Jack is a couple of feet behind the tongue, so I assume the weight at the Jack would be greater that the weight at the end of the trailer tongue.
asked by: Lawrence N
Most jacks will be a few feet behind the tip of the tongue. You can use the etrailer Trailer Tongue Weight Scale part # e99044 in the coupler to get the most accurate tongue weight rating, but this may not be the safest way.
If the jack is close to the coupler, it will still yield a very accurate reading, and this is what we recommend. The further away the jack is from the coupler the heavier it would read compared to the weight that would be on the trailer ball, but not enough to make a real difference.
I attached an FAQ article on determining tongue weight for you to check out.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Is There a Tongue Weight Scale For Trailers Under 1000-lbs
- When Do You Measure The Trailer Tongue Weight For Setting Up Weight Distribution On Imagine 3100RD?
- Tongue Weight Scale for Scamp 16 Camper
- What Does Trailer Tongue Weight Scale Weigh
- Is Weight Distribution System Needed for 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Towing Cherokee Wolf Pup
- How to Determine When Trailer Weight Distribution System is Needed
- Determining Tongue Weight to Choose Weight Distribution System
- How to Choose Correct Weight Distribution Hitch
- How to Use etrailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Shank Diameter of Trailer Ball Included With etrailer e99044 Tongue Weight Scale
- Does etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers # e99044 Need Calibration
- Accuracy of etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers
- Is it Ok to Use an etrailer.com e99044 if There is an Air Bubble in the Gauge?
- Does the Plug on the etrailer Tongue Weight Scale Need to be Perforated
- Can the etrailer Tongue Weight Scale Be Stored In Sub-Zero Temperatures?
- How to Properly Weigh my Trialer to not Exceed my Vehicles Towing Weight Rating
- How to Select Weight Distribution System Spring Bars to Match Measured Trailer Tongue Weight
- Etrailer Tongue Weight Scale VS. Sherline Tongue Weight Scale
- Determining Weight Distribution System Requirements Based on Trailer Loaded Tongue Weight
- What is Trailer Tongue Weight & How Can it be Measured
- How to Store etrailer Tongue Weight Scale e99044
- Margin of Error for the etrailer Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Solution for Sway Control When Towing Boat Trailer with 2011 Chevy Avalanche
- Is 560 lbs a Good Tongue Weight on a 2,820 lb Boat Trailer
- Can Block be Used Under etrailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Availability Of Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
- How to Determine Tongue Weight with Weight Distribution System Connected
- How Stable Is Horse Trailer On The Road Since Axles Are So Far Back?
- How to Measure Loaded Trailer Tongue Weight
- Recommendation of How To Use a Sherline Scale with a Hensley Weight Distribution Hitch and Stinger