Trailer Hitch to Allow Use of Wheelchair Carrier on 2015 Subaru Forester
The Curt Trailer Hitch - C13144 is listed as supporting 525lb tongue weight but the Forester spec says the max tongue weight is 200lb. I need to put a wheel chair carrier on the back of the car so the tongue weight is the important issue for me, not towing capacity. Will this hitch work or does the suspension need to be modified to take this weight?
asked by: John K
Helpful Expert Reply:
The Curt custom-fit Class III hitch # C13144 fits all versions of the 2014 and 2015 models years of the Subaru Forester. It does indeed have a tongue weight (TW) rating of 525-lbs, but as you noted your vehicle's TW rating is lower at 200-lbs. When differently-rated items are used together the lower-rated one determines the overall capacity of the system, which will be 200-lbs if that is what Subaru says in their documentation.
You will want to check the weight of your chair to see if it will be compatible with your vehicle. The combined weight of the chair and the carrier you choose must remain within the 200-lb TW limit as stated in your owner's manual. This means that you might need to choose a lightweight aluminum ramped carrier such as the Flint Hill Goods 30x50 Cargo Carrier # FHG77ZR which weighs around 80-lbs. If your chair weighs 120-lbs or less then its weight combined with the carrier's will remain within the 200-lb maximum.
These and all other ramped carriers for 2-inch hitches are viewable by clicking on the link provided.
Subaru can tell you if your vehicle can be safely modified to provide a higher TW capacity.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Hitch Cargo Carrier
- Carrier with Ramp
- Wheelchair Carrier
- Folding Carrier
- 30 Inch Wide
- Heavy Duty
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- 50 Inch Long
- Flint Hill Goods
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Article: How to Correct Noise from Exhaust Rattling Against a Trailer Hitch
- Q&A: Trailer Hitch that Fits 2017 Subaru Forester XT with Dual Exhaust
- Q&A: Recommended Trailer Hitch for 2018 Subaru Forester
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: Do Trailer Tires and Wheels Need to be Balanced
- Article: Rooftop Cargo Carriers
- Q&A: Trimming Around Heat Shield to Install Hitch on 2017 Subaru Forester
- Article: Ball Mount Basics: Weight Capacity, Class, and Size
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Q&A: Does the Heat Shield of a 2015 Subaru Forester Need to Get Removed to Install Trailer Hitch
- Q&A: Is there a Longer Locking Arm for a T2 Bike Rack to Load Bikes with 29 Inch Tires
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams