bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Adding Different Bolt-On A-Frame Trailer Coupler to Rusted Trailer in the Woods


Hi Guys, I was wondering if you can help me. I have this camper trailer that I need to move from a campsite. The problem is I have no Coupler, it is rusted and it is gone. My question to you is what can I do, I rather not weld because it is in a remote area with no electricity and a portable welder will not be cost effective for the move. Do you have a solution that I may be able to bolt on to the frame? Please give me your advice. Thank you and kind regards.


Expert Reply:

Well, that is a coupler, though it is in bad shape. It is a bottom mount or underslung coupler like # CA-5335-B. You can check the ball cavity to see if it is in working order but all that corrosion makes me think that using its coupler is not going to work.

In order to use a regular coupler you will likely have to cut off that bottom mount coupler so a new coupler will be able to be lowered on the ball. The jack will also have to come out to be able to install a new coupler.

As long as you have a cordless drill and bits that can cut through steel you can use a bolt on coupler such as # BD44150WH301 or # DM14793-81.

click to enlarge
expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>