bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Where to Find Power Source for Wiring Third Brake Light of Camper Shell


I would like to convert the existing cargo light on my 83 Chevy C10 truck to a third brake light. I saw an article on it years ago in a truck magazine, but unfortunately that magazine is long gone. Any help you can give me is much appreciated. Thank you.


Expert Reply:

To power a third brake light on a vehicle or camper shell you will need to find a circuit that only sees voltage when the brakes are applied. The CHMSL circuit is usually the one to use. CHMSL stands for center high mount signal lamp.

Check the fuse block of your truck for this circuit and if you can find it use it. Around 83 was about the time vehicles were required to all have third brake lights so you should be able to find it.

Otherwise you would need a signal light converter like part # C56196 to wire to your truck taillight circuits so that you can get a separate brake light.

expert reply by:
Jameson C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>