Installing Aftermarket Brake Controller on 2013 Chevy Silverado So Factory ITBC Still Works
Ive read through Chevys and ETrailer instruction to install after market controller. Were purchasing a 5th wheel with Electric over hydraulic disc brakes meaning factory ITBC wont work. I want to retain use of the ITBC. I installed this adapter and want to only cut the blue wire going to the bed trailer adapter and attach the aftermarket blue wire to this only. This would leave the receiver hitch trailer adapter wired to the factory ITBC. Will this work?
asked by: Chris K
What you're want to accomplish can be done, but you'll need to have a second 7-way plug. One will be active with the OEM brake controller, the other with the aftermarket controller.
Using a harness like the # C56070 is exactly what you'd want to do. Several inches rearward of the 7-way, you'd need to access the blue wire in the harness and cut the blue wire. Get a length of # 10-1-1 and attach it to the blue wire that leads to the secondary 7-way. Run the wire under the vehicle, through the engine compartment and through the firewall into the cab. Install the controller according to the instructions I've linked but connect the blue controller wire to the wire you've ran from the secondary 7-way.
This will allow the factory 7-way to operate using the ITBC and the secondary 7-way to operate using the aftermarket controller. If you haven't chosen a controller yet, the Tekonsha Prodigy # 90885 would be an excellent choice.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Single Wire
- 10 Gauge
more information >
- Trailer Brake Controller
- Proportional Controller
- Electric over Hydraulic
- Automatic Leveling
- Under-Dash Box
- Dash Mount
- Up to 4 Axles
- LED Display
- Up to 360 Degrees
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Is 18,000 lb B&W Patriot Slider Enough For 12,000 lb 5th Wheel on 2016 GMC Sierra 2500
- Article: Ram Trailer Tow Prep Package
- Q&A: Recommended 5th Wheel Rails for a 2022 Ram 2500
- Q&A: Can I Use the B&W Patriot w/ a Reese Sidewinder Pin Box?
- Article: 4 Steps to Choosing Your 5th Wheel Pin Box
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Q&A: Recommended Sidewinder Pin Box For A 2025 Keystone Cougar 2700BH
- Q&A: Recommended In-Bed 7-Way Trailer Connector for 2022 Ram 3500
- Q&A: Recommended In Bed 7-Way for a 2024 Ram 2500
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapters
- Q&A: Recommended In-Bed 7-Way Connector for a 2024 Chevy Silverado 2500
- Article: Gooseneck Trailer Hitch Information and Review