bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Ball Mount Recommendation For Trailer Hitch and Trailer Coupler with Same Height


I have a 2007 Chevy ect. Cab truck that has a factory installed trailer hitch and Im going to be pulling a 5foot x 8foot long utility trailer thats rated at 3500 lbs. what size of ball mount do I need? I measured the distance from ground to top of 2inch hitch on truck which was 14inch and the distance from ground to bottom of trailer coupler level was 14inch they both were same so what does that mean ? What size ball mount hitch do I need ? Does it need to be a drop or rise? The reason is the size I have now has a 3 1/4 and I believe a 2inch rise and I have the balled mounted on the rise and when I was towing my trailer loaded with my 3 wheeler all the way to the front a few days ago it started swaying back and fourth so I need to know how can I fix this or what do I need to fix this?? Thanks


Expert Reply:

Since your hitch and coupler height are the same, I recommend using a ball mount with a straight shank, like the Curt # C62KR. This ball mount features a 1-7/8 inch, 2 inch, and 2-5/16 inch balls. The straight shank on this ball mount will allow you to tow your utility trailer level.

If you don't like the idea of a multi-ball mount, you can use a ball mount with a 2 inch drop, like the Draw Tite Ball Moiunt 3/4 inch Rise or 2 Inch Drop # 2923, with a hitch ball that has a rise, like the Curt 2 Inch Hitch Ball - 2 Inch Rise # C40034. This will also allow you to tow your trailer level.

If you still have problems with trailer sway when towing your trailer level, you can use a friction sway control bar, like the Reese # 83660. This friction bar helps reduce trailer sway and improve handling. You will also want to use the Reese Sway-Control Bracket for 2 Inch Ball Mounts # RP26003 to install the sway control system. I have attached a review video of this system for you.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>