How to Measure Trailer Leaf Spring to Find Correct Replacement
How do I measure the length of utility trailer springs, straight across or along the curve? The ones on there now measure 32 1/2 inch along the curvature from the center of one bolt hole to the center of the other bolt hole.
asked by: Cliff C
Helpful Expert Reply:
To correctly measure a leaf spring, you'll want to jack the trailer up on jack stands so the axle is hanging freely, then measure directly across from the center of one spring eye to the other, as shown in the provided diagram. The height of the spring and the distance from the spring eye to the center of the spring can also be helpful in finding the correct replacement.
To ensure you're getting the correct leaf springs, you'll also need to know the capacity of your axle. If you can find that information on the axle itself, we can make a pretty good guesstimate if you can provide as much as the following information as possible:
Axle diameter (or circumference divided by 3.14)
If the axle is 1 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter, it's likely a 1000 lb axle
2-3/8 in diameter, 3500 lb axle
3 inches in diameter, 6000-7200 lb axle
3-1/2 inches, 8000 lb axle
4 inches, 9000 axle
5 or more, 10000 lb axle
Knowing the wheel bearing reference numbers or the wheel's bolt pattern will also be a good clue to the axle capacity.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- How Do I Know If My 10k AL-KO/Hayes Brake Caliper Is For The Right Or Left Side Of A Trailer
- Is The Furrion 34" FF34SC15A-BL Fireplace Available?
- Recommended Hitch and Cargo Carrier for a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport
- What Replacement Parts Do I Need For My Solera Awning
- Choosing a Spare Tire Cover to Fit Your Tire
- How To Replace A Broken Wheel Stud
- Power Adapter for Furrion Camera Systems on 2022 Silverado and Sierra Trucks
- Replacement Disc Brake Caliper Needed For A 10,000 Pound Hayes Axle
- Choosing Between Curt TruTrack & Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Systems for Keystone Travel Trailer
- Fit and Adjustability of Roof Rack for 2012 Prius V wagon
- Replacement Tail Light for a 2020 Jayco Redhawk Motorhome
- Is There A Storage Container Option That Will Go Under The Lippert SolidSteps?
- Replacement Key for Bauer AE Series Lock
- Front and Rear Air Bag Suspension and Onboard Air Compressor for a 2022 Thor Quantum KW29 motorhome
- Trailer Hitch for 2023 Kia Sportage EV
- Tire Grip Vehicle Traction Recovery Tracks for Boat Ramp Use
- Recommended Replacement Divider Latch for Horse Trailers
- B&W Companion Replacement Base for Ford Prep Package
- How To Haul A Motorcycle On The Front Of My 2017 Nissan NV3500
- Correct Snow Tire Chains For A 2010 Honda CRV
- Replacement Inner And Outer Bearing With Seal For A 1998 Kwik Kamp Camper Trailer
- Replacement For A 57915.331 Dometic Duo-Therm AC Unit
- Bright LED Clearance Light for Side of Horse Trailer for Visibility
- Suspension Upgrade for 2015 Keystone Carbon 347
- Recommending A Replacement Hub And Bearings For A 2019 Forest River Wildwood Toy Hauler
- Replacement Base Assembly for Thule Xporter Pro Ladder Rack
- Axle Lift Kit For A 2022 Forest River 29TE
- Recommended Air Bag Suspension Kit for a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD