bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Adapter Availability for Going From Euro 7-way to American 4-Way


Hello: is there a part that can adapt a US flat four pin on my vehicle to a European trailer seven way?


Expert Reply:

Bascially, there is no easy way to convert the European 7-Way to a US 4-Way. We do not carry any kind of adapter that you could use. You are left with 2 options. First, you would install a separate wiring harness which would be the easiest. Or, you could attempt to fabricate an adapter.

You would need to use a converter, # RM-732. The red wire on the input side would attach to the brake light wire on the vehicle wiring. The white wire grounds to the frame. The yellow wire will attach to the left turn signal wire on the vehicle. The green wire will attach to right turn signal.

The out put side only has 2 wires. Yellow, which will be combined left turn and brake, and green for combined right turn and brake. To get the running lights, attach a wire to either running light circuit on the vehicle trailer wiring, and route the other end of the wire directly to a 4-Way vehicle side connector like # 18002.

You probably will not need the whole 60 inches on the 18002 harness so clip off he excess wire as needed. The yellow and green wires on the converter out put side will match the yellow and green on the 4-Way. The running light wire you ran goes to the brown wire. Ground the white wire directly to the frame.

This should give you the function you need but it should only be used as a temporary solution. The best way to add a 4-Way US style trailer connector is to have it installed in addition to the connector you already have.

expert reply by:
Jameson C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>