bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Determining Which Drop/Rise Ball Mount will be Needed to Transport my Coleman Popup Camper


Hello I was wondering was /rise ball mount should I purchase for 2011 Mazda 2 to tow Coleman popup camper? I havent picked up camper yet to measure. Thank you in advance,


Expert Reply:

I can help you figure out what which ball mount you will need for your Mazda and Coleman popup camper.

There's some specific measurements to take to determine the rise/drop of ball mount you need. Measure from the inside top of the receiver tube to the ground. Then, with the trailer jacked so that it's level, measure the distance from the underside of the coupler to the ground. The difference between the two measurements is the rise/drop needed. If the coupler height is taller than that of the receiver, you'll need a ball mount with a rise. If the coupler height is smaller than that of the receiver, you'll need a drop. Most Class I hitches list a recommended ball mount for that vehicle in the instructions.

I've linked a Help Article that shows how to take the measurement for your convenience.

Here are some ball mounts that may work for you
2-1/8 inch rise, # 3593
3-3/4 inch rise, part # C45023
4 inch rise, part # 3594
5 inch rise, part # C45025

I'd recommend confirming that the weight of the trailer and its fully loaded tongue weight doesn't exceed the tongue weight capacity of the hitch, or the towing capacity of the vehicle, whichever is less is the one you will be limited by.

expert reply by:
Jackie C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>