Recommended Method to Transport 2 Bikes on 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Hi, I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2010. It has a hard cover on the spare tire. I used to use an over the tire bike rack on my previous Suzuki but it made dents in the tire and the cover eventually tearing the cover. I want something to go over the hardcover without scratching it or denting it. Would the Hollywood over the tire rack work?
asked by: Catherine M
The best way to transport bikes on your 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara is to install a trailer hitch like Curt Class III hitch # C13001 and to then use a hitch-mount bike carrier. The advantages of using a hitch-mount rack are higher overall bike/weight capacity than any spare-tire-mounted rack, the ability to use the hitch for other items such as a cargo carrier # C18151 or for towing, and that your bike rack's and bikes' combined weight is carried by the vehicle's frame - it's strongest part.
If you prefer to use a spare-tire-mount rack, the Hollywood Racks SR1 2-Bike Carrier # HRSR1 is a good choice. This easy-to-use rack fits spare tires up to 15 inches wide and with any bolt pattern. Simply loosen the adjustment bolts to widen the mounting brace to fit your spare, place the brace over the spare, and tighten the bolts until the rack is snug. Then wrap the side strap under the bottom of the tire and the two front straps around the back of the tire to minimize side-to-side and front-to-back movement of the rack.
It is not possible to guarantee that your spare tire cover will not be marked or dimpled from the attached weight of the rack and bikes. Many factors, including bike weight, road conditions and driving speed all contribute to the wear on the tire cover. The two linked articles may be helpful to you as you consider your best option.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Hitch Cargo Carrier
- Flat Carrier
- Folding Carrier
- 20 Inch Wide
- Heavy Duty
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- 60 Inch Long
- Class III
- Class IV
more information >
- Spare Tire Bike Racks
- Frame Mount - Standard
- 2 Bikes
- Locks Not Included
- Dual Arm
- Hanging Rack
- Hollywood Racks
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Does The Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch Receiver # 75448 Use all Mounting Holes 2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara?
- Q&A: Installation of Trailer Hitch and Wiring on a 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara
- Q&A: Does Stromberg Carlson Trailer Hitch SC45MR Have Capacity for 3,000 lb Trailer
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Q&A: Can Loctite Threadlocker be Used when Installing Curt Trailer Hitch on a 2008 Ford F-250
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: Can 2015 Ford Edge Tow 3500-Lb Trailer
- Q&A: Can I Buy a Replacement Key for My Older Thule T2 Classic Bike Rack?
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: What is an RV-Approved Bike Rack? (And Do You REALLY Need One?)
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack for a Motor Home or RV
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Electric Bikes
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class