Recommended Spare Tire Mounted Bike Carrier For 1999 Toyota RAV4
My daughter has a Toyota Rav 4, I think it is a 1999......I want to get a bike rack for her car, which would you recommend, and do they need to be professionally fitted?
asked by: Ning C
I checked out 1998, 1999, and 2000 RAV4s and with the spare tire mounted on the back of the vehicle I recommend a spare tire bike carrier like the Yakima SpareRide 2 Bike Carrier, part # Y02599 Installing a spare tire carrier eliminated the need to install a trailer hitch, so you can save a bit of money.
The SpareRide mounts to the spare tire holder on the back of the RAV4 and has a weight capacity of 35-lbs per bike. This carrier can be folded down when not in use, and has a handy bottle opener at the end of both carrier arms. This bike rack has a lock that secures the carrier to the wheel hub and a locking cable system that secures the bikes on the rack.
When carrying bikes with alternative frames like kids bikes or women's bikes I recommend using an adapter bar like part # 64005. This attaches between the seat post and the handlebar stem and allows the bike to be carried more level in the carrier while providing additional ground clearance. I have attached a product review video for this adapter bar.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Spare Tire Bike Racks
- Trunk Bike Racks
- Adapter Bar
- 24-3/8 - 33-3/4 Inch Long
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: How to Choose a Spare-Tire-Bike Rack
- Q&A: Will Yakima SpareTime 2 Bike Carrier # Y02599 Allow Rear Glass to Open on 2007 Jeep Liberty
- Q&A: Best Spare Tire Mounted Bike Rack Comparison Thule Vs Yakima
- Q&A: Opening the Rear Door with Bike Rack on 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Q&A: Spare Tire Bike Rack Recommendation for Jeep Wrangler with Offroad Oversize Tire
- Q&A: 7-Way RV Trailer Connector Wiring Diagram
- Q&A: Are Additional Diodes Needed for Demco SBS Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System
- Q&A: Rear Support Bar Dimension on Hollywood Racks SR1 2-Bike Spare Tire Bike Carrier HRSR1
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack for a Jeep Wrangler
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack That Will Clear a Rear Mounted Spare Tire or Bumper
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: How to Choose a High-Low Adapter
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch