Is a Taller Weight Distribution Shank Needed to Tow Trailer Level if Ball is Lower than Coupler
I just purchased a trailer that came with a wd system. When I hook up the hitch shank and measure the top of the ball is 1.5 - 2inch lower than the coupler height. Is this difference acceptable or do I need a different rise to be closer to level? Thanks,
asked by: Tim
Helpful Expert Reply:
If the trailer does not sit level (which it sounds like it won't) then yes you will need to go with a different shank that will allow the trailer to sit level. Was the trailer sitting level when you took the measurement? Typically we see people needing more drop than rise with WD systems but anything is possible.
If the holes on your current shank are 3/4 inch in diameter and 1-1/4 inch apart on center you could go with the Curt shank part # C17123 which has a total of 13-1/4 in shank height.
Without knowing more details about your setup it's hard to be more specific than that.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Weight Distribution Hitch
- 1400 lbs TW
- 14000 lbs GTW
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- Round - 8 Inch Drop
- Trunnion - 8 Inch Drop
- Round - 12 Inch Rise
- Trunnion - 11 Inch Rise
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: Compatible Replacement for a CR12124 Trailer Grease Seal
- Article: Hyk Outdoors Teardrop Campers: Happy Camping Without the Hassle
- Q&A: Complete Flat-Towing Setup for a 2009 Honda CR-V
- Q&A: What Size is the U-Bolt on the Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver Part # 13555
- Q&A: Replacement Hardware for the Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver Part # C11391
- Article: What Do I Need To Tow A Trailer?
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Flat Tow a 2009 Honda CR-V
- Q&A: Installation Instructions for Curt Trailer Hitch 13555 on a 2011 Honda CR-V
- Q&A: How to Determine Correct Ball Mount Rise or Drop for Towing a Trailer with a 17 Inch Coupler Height
- Article: How to Clean Weld Nuts for the Installation of a Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com
- Article: Flat Towing Package for 2007 Honda CR-V
- Article: How to Choose a Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack