Why Do Trailer Hitches Have Higher Towing Capacities than the Vehicles They Fit
you website about what hitch i can put on my 2015 subaru forester is WAY wrong although i wish it was accurate. i just talked with subaru and the 2015 forester cant handle a 525lb tongue wt because of the CVT transmission it can only handle a 175 lb tongue wt ! so you should correct this with CURT because you may sell hitches to unsuspecting forester owners, and it would violate the warranty of their forester. sincerely,
asked by: James L
You bring up a great point which brings up a great question. There is a good reason that hitches like the Curt # C13144 have a higher capacity than the vehicle it fits.
Hitch capacities are rated separately from the vehicle they are installed on. I know it's somewhat annoying and confusing, but a hitch has it's own weight capacity that was determined by the manufacturer that is independent of the vehicle. Typically it makes sense to make hitches with similar capacities as the vehicle but in reality the hitches are often made to be stronger than the vehicles they are installed on. It's not intended to come off as false advertising but more to make a product that is more robust than needed.
We recommend strongly that every person determine the towing capacity of all components in their towing setup and go by the lowest rated component as the overall capacity since a setup is only as strong as it's weakest link.
Featured Help Information
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Article: How to Correct Noise from Exhaust Rattling Against a Trailer Hitch
- Q&A: Do All 2021 Kia Tellurides Have Tow Package for Trailer Wiring Harness
- Q&A: Trailer Hitch that Fits 2017 Subaru Forester XT with Dual Exhaust
- Q&A: Recommended Trailer Hitch for 2018 Subaru Forester
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Article: Rooftop Cargo Carriers
- Q&A: Trimming Around Heat Shield to Install Hitch on 2017 Subaru Forester
- Article: Ball Mount Basics: Weight Capacity, Class, and Size
- Q&A: Is there a Longer Locking Arm for a T2 Bike Rack to Load Bikes with 29 Inch Tires
- Q&A: Where Does Breakaway Pin of Blue Ox Patriot Normally Attach on Vehicle
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams