Brackets and Fittings Not Mentioned in Instructions for Derale Combination Oil/Transmission Cooler
I received my kit for my 06 Toy Tacoma. Looking it over along with the included instructions, there appears to be parts included in the kit that are not mentioned in the instructions. One bag has 4 flat metal plates with holes and about 8 screws. I assume these are for mounting the radiator portion - are these to be used in addition too, or in place of the nylon mounting pieces referred too in the instructions? Can the screws be threaded into the holes in the metal frame piece on each side of the radiator? Another mystery piece is a brass fitting, threaded on one end with a loose tube that is flared on both ends. What is this? What is its purpose? Where does it go? What gets attached to it? Why is this not mentioned in the instructions???
asked by: Jeff
The 4 metal plates are bendable mounting brackets. You can use them if you want or the straps to mount the cooler core. I would not mount it using the screws and brackets to any part of the radiator. They are meant to attach to other structural components of the vehicle if you can't attach the cooler to the radiator using the straps.
The fitting is the Insta-dapt fitting used for the transmission cooler portion of the installation. It adapts the transmission line so you can connect the radiator to transmission cooler quickly and easily without having to cut or flare lines. I have linked some additional instructions that will help with that.
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Engine Oil and Transmission Fluid Cooler for a 2017 Ford Explorer
- Q&A: Is There an Extension Cord Available to Extend a 7-Way Connector
- Q&A: Transmission Cooler Recommendation for 2017 Ford Explorer
- Q&A: Suspension Enhancement Recommendation for 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation
- Q&A: How to Pick Out Replacement Grease Caps for EZ Lube Spindle Grease Cap
- Article: How to Measure the Bolt Pattern of a Trailer Wheel
- Article: Frequently Asked Questions About Transmission Coolers
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Q&A: How to Determine Which Transmission Line is the Return Line for Installing a Transmission Cooler
- Q&A: Lighting and Wiring Options for Flat-Towing a Jeep Wrangler Behind a Motor Home
- Article: Performance Chips and Modules
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: How to Mount a Truck Bed Camper