bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Recommended Brake Controller and Installation for 2016 Ford Transit 250


I have a 7 wire plug from the factory but no brake controller. What do I need to install a brake controller? Thank you


Expert Reply:

If the connector you found looks like the round connector in the picture I attached all you would need to add a 7-way to your vehicle like # HM40975. This would plug into the connector below your vehicle.

Once there is a 7-way you would just need to wire it up so that your controller would work with it.

For a brake controller, I recommend the Tekonsha P3 # 90195, because of its easy user interface. The P3 is a proportional brake controller which means it senses how the tow vehicle is slowing or stopping and applies the trailer's brakes with the same intensity. It also has a full display screen instead of codes that need deciphering. The Tekonsha P2 # 90885 is like the P3's little brother, it has all the great qualities but doesn't have the display of the P3.

To install the brake controller and the 7-way adapter you would want the Wiring Kit for 2 and 4 Brake Electric Brake Controllers # 5506. This will provide the power source and ground for the wiring for the brake controller. You will need to test the wires, with a circuit tester like # 40376, from the brake pedal switch of your vehicle to find a circuit that has voltage when the brakes are applied and none when not applied. This will be the circuit you will run the red wire to.

Finally you will need to run a length of 10 gauge wire, # 10-1-1, from the brake output circuit of the controller to the brake output circuit of the 7-way (blue wire). The # 10-1-1 is sold by the foot so you will need to order a quantity of the amount of feet you will need.

I have linked all the above mentioned products to this page as well as a Help Article on installing brake controllers for your convenience.

click to enlarge
expert reply by:
Jackie C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>