bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Can a Trailer with Hydraulic Brakes Have Electric Brakes Installed


etrailer, I recently purchased a 2002 Jayco Eagle 12UD ST pop-up camper trailer. It came with hydraulic surge brakes that dont seem like theyre working properly right now. Id like to actually swap the hydraulic system for an electric system to give me manual control of the brakes inside my towing vehicle Honda Pilot for safety purposes. I saw a video on your site explaining how to wire up electric brakes to a trailer that used to have a hydraulic system. But since Im very new at all this, could you possibly give me a list of everything Id need to get the project done effectively and safely? Any advice in general about doing the swap? Thanks a ton for your help!


Expert Reply:

It's actually not too difficult to swap out your hydraulic brakes with electric brakes. The main thing will be that you will remove the hubs of your trailer so that you can unbolt the assemblies and then reinstall electric ones. Beyond that you would then wire the assemblies up to the brake output circuit on your trailer wiring.

You will want to measure your assemblies like in the photo I attached so that you can pick out the correct replacement to fit your hub.

You will need to run wiring from the front of your trailer to your trailer brakes to carry electric power to them. In addition to wire ( # 10-1-1) , you may need connectors ( # 05732-2) , zip-ties ( # DW05726-25), wire clips ( # CE16867A), electrical tape, and ground screws ( # 101131802). You'll also have to convert your trailer connector to a 7-way ( # H20046) that includes a circuit for electric brakes.

Junction boxes like the part # 38656 make the install process easier as basically you run the wires from the connector to it, and then from there to each of the circuits on the trailer. I attached an install video that details how to do this as well.

I also attached a link to a page that will walk you through the process of adding electric brakes to a trailer as well.

click to enlarge
expert reply by:
Jameson C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>