bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

What Equipment is Needed to Flat Tow 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee


We have a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee we plan to pull with our RV. We were thinking of purchasing a falcon 5250 used from someone. What pieces/equipment is needed to tow?


Expert Reply:

To flat tow your 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, you will need a base plate kit, a tow bar, safety cables, towed vehicle wiring, and a supplemental braking system. It is also likely that you will need a wiring extension to connect the RV's wiring with the Grand Cherokee's and a high-low adapter that will allow you to have the tow bar level while towing your vehicle.

Since you are looking at the previous generation of the Roadmaster Falcon Tow Bar # RM-520, it will be easiest to connect the tow bar to Roadmaster base plates. The base plate kit for your 2004 Grand Cherokee is the Roasmaster XL Base Plate Kit, Removable Arms # 1425-1. The base plate kit # 1425-1 is designed to custom fit your Grand Cherokee to ensure a perfect fit. Installation instructions and an installation video for this base plate kit are attached for you.

For safety cables, I recommend the Roadmaster 68 Inch Single Hook, Coiled Safety Cables # RM-643. I like these because the coiled design of these safety cables will help keep the cables off of the ground while you are towing. I've attached a review video of these cables for you as well.

Our most popular lighting option for towing the 2004 Grand Cherokee is the Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit with Bulbs # RM-155. This kit will allow you to install new bulbs in your Grand Cherokee's taillight housing for use when you are flat towing. Using a bulb and socket kit like # RM-155 will bypass the vehicle's wiring entirely so that you do not have to splice into the factory vehicle wiring. I've attached an installation video of this kit on a similar vehicle to yours, a Jeep Liberty, for you to see an example of the installation process. I have also linked all of the towed vehicle wiring options for you.

I have linked the wiring extensions for you as well. I personally like the Roadmaster 7-Wire to 4-Wire Flexo-Coil Kit # RM-164-7. This kit includes an extension that will plug into a 7-Way blade-style connector at one end (RV side) and a 4-Way round connector at the other end (vehicle side). A round 4-Way socket is included with the kit to install on the Grand Cherokee. A review video of this kit is also linked.

The supplemental braking system I recommend for you is the Stay-IN-Play DUO # SM99251. It installs in the Jeep and doesn't need to removed ever. There's a switch to turn in on when you're towing the Jeep or off when you want to drive it. I've linked a video from when we installed the DUO in a Grand Cherokee a little newer than yours.

I have attached a help article for you on how to determine which high-low adapter you will need to have the tow bar level. A link to all of the high-low adapters is also on this page for you.

Help articles on flat towing and flat tow wiring are linked for further information. It is always a good idea to check your vehicle's owner's manual for any special instructions on flat towing.

expert reply by:
Victoria B

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>