How to Carry 3 Bikes on a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT
It looks like there is only one hitch recommended for the GT model, and it is a class 1. I read on the Thule bike rack description that I can only carry two bikes, but I need to carry three. Is there any way for me to be able to do that with a car my size? Thank you.
asked by: Jodi
Yes there is a way that you can carry 3 bikes using your 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT. You can use a trunk mount bike rack. Your Vibe has that spoiler piece at the top of the rear hatch. To avoid putting stress on that spoiler there is only 1 bike rack I recommend; the Hollywood Racks Over-the-Top rack # HRF2-3.
This rack has an extra arm piece to move the top straps up and over that spoiler so no weight is put on it. And this rack holds 3 bikes and costs about the same as a trailer hitch plus bike rack combined. I have linked a video review of this bike rack for you.
If you will be carrying any bikes that do not have a top frame bar that goes straight across (like a typical men's bike would) then I recommend using bike adapter bar # 64005. This will allow you to carry those bikes more level and will provide better ground clearance. I have linked a video showing how the adapter works.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Spare Tire Bike Racks
- Trunk Bike Racks
- Adapter Bar
- 24-3/8 - 33-3/4 Inch Long
more information >
- Article: Trailer Hitch Receiver Sizes
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Q&A: How to Determine Between 5 on 4-1/2 and 5 on 5 Bolt Patterns for Hub Covers
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: Comparing Trailer Hitches # 12221 and # C12013 for a 2007 Toyota Matrix
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Article: Determining Trailer Tongue Weight
- Article: How to Correct Noise from Exhaust Rattling Against a Trailer Hitch
- Article: Ball Mount Basics: Weight Capacity, Class, and Size
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Tow Trailer with 2007 Toyota Matrix
- Q&A: Is A 2 Inch Trailer Hitch Available For A 2009 Toyota Camry
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between Class 1 and Class 2 Hitches for the Scion XB
- Q&A: Which Way Do the Washers Install On the Curt Hitch C12228
- Q&A: Can a 1-7/8 inch Ball be Used to Replace a 2 inch Ball on a Trailer that is Hard to Unhook