Troubleshooting Trailer Lights that All Work Except the Drivers Side Running Light
All my trailer lights work except the driver side running light.
asked by: Gee P
First thing you should do at this point is test the 4-way of the wiring harness with a circuit tester part # PTW2993 for voltage on all of the right pins when the taillight signals are being applied. Just like in the video I attached.
If the voltage checks out there but the trailer lights still don't function right then the problem is on the trailer wiring. That would mean that problem is either due to a ground issue or a short issue.
Make sure that the trailer side connector are clean and free of corrosion inside and out. The main connector grounds should be attached to clean and corrosion free bare metal surfaces. The light grounds should also be attached to clean and corrosion free bare metal surfaces. If there is anything between a light ground and the metal trailer frame or if the trailer has an aluminum frame, tilt bed, or folding tongue, any of these things can interrupt the ground. Running jumper wires from the light grounds to the main trailer connector ground can help.
If the problem is on the vehicle side then I would first recommend you double check how the harness is installed on your vehicle, make sure all of the connections are good and tight. You should check all towing related fuses and relays as well.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Electrical Tools
- Circuit Tester
- Performance Tool
more information >
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Q&A: Blule Ox Baseplate For A Diesel 2020 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali
- Article: How to Install a Brake Controller on Chevrolet / GMC 1999-2006 Pickups
- Article: Pintle-Hitches
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Flat Tow 2023 Ford Bronco
- Q&A: Difference Between RoadActive Suspension Kits for 2024 GMC Sierra 2500
- Q&A: 6k Hub Drum that Can Fit Timbren Axle Less Kit part # ASR1THDS03
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Install Curt Inline Echo Brake Controller On Vehicle with 4-Way
- Q&A: Parts Needed To Activate Trailer Brakes With A 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander
- Q&A: Availability Of 33" Ark Stabilizer Jack And Dimensional Diagrams Of Similar Ark Corner Steadies