Trailer Running Lights Slowly Pulse On and Off and Rear Tail Lights Not Working w/Mercedes Sprinter
I have 2012 chassis, MB sprinter 3500, 2013 Airstream Interstate RV. bought this replacement plug but not working. Trailer running lights slowly pulse on and off, no tail lights, but brake and blinkers work. strange. cant figure it out.
asked by: Mark M
The tail lights on the back of a trailer run off of the running light circuit so the fact that the other lights on that circuit are working and most of the problems are just at the rear tail lights that makes me think there is a ground problem.
Ground problems normally show up when there is more draw on a system such as when you have the running lights on and then use another function like a turn signal or brake light but can show up any time.
Make sure that the vehicle side and trailer side connectors are clean and free of corrosion inside and out. The main connector grounds should be attached to clean and corrosion free bare metal surfaces.
The light grounds should also be attached to clean and corrosion free bare metal surfaces. If there is anything between a light ground and the metal trailer frame or if the trailer has an aluminum frame, tilt bed, or folding tongue, any of these things can interrupt the ground. Running jumper wires from the light grounds to the main trailer connector ground can help.
If the lights on the trailer are LED lights then the problem could be that they do not have enough power draw and are confusing the tow package system on the Sprinter. This is more common on Mercedes and other German vehicles but there is a solution. You can add more load using a special adapter, # C57003.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring
- Trailer Hitch Wiring
- Custom Fit
- 7 Round - Blade
more information >
- Shop: Brake Buddy Stealth Supplemental Braking System - Proportional
- Shop: Vehicle Tow Bar Brake System
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Video: Brake Buddy Stealth Supplemental Braking System Installation - 2007 Jeep Wrangler
- Shop: Replacement Dual Controller for Brake Buddy Stealth Flat Tow Brake System
- Shop: Roadmaster Battery Disconnect with Switch for Towed Vehicle w/ Flat Tow Brake System - Gas
- Video: Roadmaster Automatic Battery Disconnect Installation - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
- Q&A: Does Brake Buddy Stealth Show Messages on Display If Not Connected Trailer Tow Vehicle
- Search Results: electric bike rack
- Shop: RV Bike Racks
- Shop: Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE Bike Rack for 2 Electric Bikes - 2" Hitches - Frame Mount
- Shop: Hollywood Racks RV Rider Bike Rack for 2 Electric Bikes - 2" Hitches - Frame Mount
- Search Results: battery disconnect
- Shop: Vehicle Tow Bar Wiring
- Shop: Brake Controller
- Video: Tow Ready Wiring - Wiring Adapters - 20142 Review
- Search Results: bike rack hitch
- Search Results: brake buddy
- Q&A: Is There an Additional Quick Connect Fitting Available for the Utopia RV Exterior Shower Faucet
- Video: LaSalle Bristol RV Faucets - Bathroom Faucet - 34420315R102QDW Review
- Shop: Trailer Connector Adapter w/ Lamp-Out Sensor Bypass - 7-Way RV to 7-Way RV - Vehicle End
- Shop: Thule Hitching Post Pro Bike Rack for 4 Bikes - 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches
- Search Results: anti rattle device hitch
- Search Results: blue ox pins
- Q&A: Brake Controller Install On 2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 Without Green Plug Under the Seat
- Shop: RV Jack Pads
- Shop: Vehicle Seat Covers
- Q&A: Does The Brake Buddy Stealth Supplemental Braking System Turn Off When Not Flat Towing
- Q&A: Where Is The Brake Controller Plug On a 2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500
- Video: Brake Buddy Stealth Supplemental Braking System Dual Controller Replacement Review