spare tire 3 bike rack Wrangler 2015
I have 3 peddle assist bikes, they are fairly heavy , of course I would take off the battery . which rack would you recommend?
asked by: Joe H
The Surco Spare Tire 3-Bike rack part # BT300 that you came from has a total weight capacity of 105-lbs or 35-lbs per bike. From my research I found the ebikes can weigh up to 70-lbs. I am afraid the electric bikes you want to carry would be much more than the carrier can handle, even with the batteries removed.
We do not have a spare tire mounted bike carrier that can handle the weight of your bikes. The best option I can recommend is the Thule Easy Fold XT, part # TH903202, that is designed for heavier electric bikes. This would be limited to two bikes that weigh up to 65-lbs per bike.
The bigger problem you may run into is clearance at the back of your Jeep. The distance from the hitch pin hole to the closest part of the # TH903202 is 7-inches. That would be too close to avoid the spare tire.
The only option I can recommend is to find a utility trailer and purchase mounts that can be placed in the bed of the trailer. If you do not have a hitch and decide this is the route you want to go let me know and I will be glad to make some recommendations for hitches and other items that may help you out.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Platform Rack
- Folding Rack
- Tilt-Away Rack
- Frame Mount
- Bike and Hitch Lock
- 2 Bikes
- Class 1
- Class 2
- Class 3
- Fits 1-1/4 Inch Hitch
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- Fits 1-1/4 and 2 Inch Hitch
- Electric Bikes
- Heavy Bikes
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Can the Surco Spare Tire 3-Bike Carrier be Installed Without the Spare Tire on a 2013 Jeep Wrangler
- Article: How to Choose a Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack for a Motor Home or RV
- Q&A: What Rear Mounted Bike Rack Will Fit On 2005 Honda CRV With Outside Mounted Spare Tire
- Q&A: Will the Thule Passage 3 Bike Trunk Mount Bike Rack Fit my 2008 Jeep Patriot
- Q&A: Installation/Removal of the Surco BT300 On a Jeep Wrangler
- Q&A: Recommended Trailer Hitch for 2018 Honda CR-V
- Q&A: Comparing Draw-Tite and Curt 2 inch Trailer Hitches for a 2019 Honda CR-V
- Q&A: Pull-Rite Capture Plate for a Rota-Flex
- Article: How to Choose a Spare-Tire-Bike Rack
- Article: What Do I Need To Tow A Trailer?
- Article: What is an RV-Approved Bike Rack? (And Do You REALLY Need One?)
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack That Will Clear a Rear Mounted Spare Tire or Bumper