bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Parts Needed to Flat Tow a 2002 Jeep Wrangler


What parts do I need to accomplish this. Also, I would like it hook up and unhook as fast as possible for a disabled man


Expert Reply:

For your 2002 Jeep Wrangler you would first need to determine what bumper you have on your vehicle. If you follow the link to page I attached for base plate kits for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler you will need to select the style of bumper you have and then the correct base plate kits will be listed.

In addition to the base plates, you will also need a compatible tow bar, safety cables, lighting, and supplemental braking to flat tow your vehicle. The most popular compatible tow bar is the Falcon 2, # RM-520. This is one of the easiest to use on the market. For safety cables you can use # RM-643. The coiled design helps keep the cables off of the ground.

For lighting you can use the diode kit, # RM-15267, and not have to worry about cutting into the taillight housing. This will splice into your taillight wiring to allow your tow vehicle to control the taillight assemblies of the towed vehicle. This comes with a round 6-way connector that you will install on the front of your towed vehicle and enough coiled wire to go from there to the RV.

And finally, most states now require supplemental braking in the vehicle being flat towed. The easiest systems to use once they're installed are permanent systems like the Stay-IN-Play DUO # SM99251. The install is a lot more in depth than a portable system but once it's installed all you need to do is flip a switch to set it up. A portable system needs to be completely reset and placed back in the Jeep everytime you get ready to tow.

Most likely you will also need a high low adapter so that the tow bar will be level when you are flat towing. I attached a link to a page that has all of the ones we carry.

I have included a couple of helpful links to our articles on flat towing for you. Be sure to consult the vehicle owners manual for more specific information on flat towing your vehicle.

expert reply by:
Jameson C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>