Will I Have Enough Clearance to Tow a Fifth Wheel Trailer with 2015 Ram 2500 with Sleeper Shell
Hello, I have a 2015 ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with 64inch bed. I am purchasing a Jayco Eagle HT fifth wheel 96inch wide with standard pin box. I am considering an auto slider hitch, or a standard hitch plus airborne sidewinder. Can you please help with a couple of hitch questions? I am considering getting a sleeper shell that would take up the front 30inch of the bed, leaving about 36inch of empty bed. 1. Would that be enough space for a standard hitch and airborne sidewinder to work? 2. Would that be enough room for an auto slider hitch to work? 3. If that is not enough room, what is the minimum clear length needed to work correctly? Thank you!
asked by: David D
Unfortunately, there's no way you're going to get enough turning clearance with only 36 inches of bed space with either a sliding hitch or Sidewinder. You won't even be able to install the fifth wheel hitch with the sleeper shell installed. The hitch would be too far back in the truck bed.
In order to determine the amount of clearance you have you're going to need to do a little measuring and a little math.
Once installed, a fifth wheel hitch can sit either directly over or about 3 inches from the center of the axle towards the truck's cab. Placing the hitch any closer to the rear of the truck will put too much strain on the rear suspension. So you will want to meaure from this point in the truck's bed to the back of the cab. Take that number and add it to the amount of travel the sliding hitch is going to have (Or 22 inches for a Sidewinder). The amount of travel will depend on the hitch you're using. The Demco Hijacker Autoslide # DM8550034 travels up to 14 inches.
After you add those together subtract half of the width of your trailer from that. So it will be the number you calculated minus 48. That will be the amount of turning clearance you have and you want at least 4 inches.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Automatic Sliding Fifth Wheel Hitch that Fits Factory Rail Kit of 2019 Ram 2500 Short Bed
- Availability of Alternative Autosliding 5th Wheel Hitch to the PullRite SuperGlide
- How to Use a MOR/ryde Pin Box with a Demco Hijacker Autoslide 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch
- Recommended 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch for 2011 Ford F-250/350 with Short Bed
- Automatic Sliding Fifth Wheel Hitch and Rail Kit Recommendation for 2008 Toyota Tundra
- Best Above Bed 5th Wheel Hitch for a 2015 Ford F-350 Short Bed Without Factory Prep Package
- Recommendation for a 5th Wheel Hitch to Fit a 2014 Ram 2500 With 6 Ft. Bed
- Automatic Sliding Fifth Wheel Hitch for 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 with OEM Rail Kit
- Will a Demco Hijacker Fit 2018 Ford F-150 With 5-1/2 Foot Bed
- Mounting Rails For Demco Autoslide 5th Wheel Hitch In A 2015 Ram 3500 Without OEM Prep Pkg
- Recommended 5th Wheel Hitch for 2010 GMC Sierra 2500
- Recommended Demco Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch For 2022 Ford F-250 Super Duty With OEM Prep Package
- Will Demco Hijacker Autoslide 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch Fit in Long Bed Super Duty
- Too Much Slop When Starting and Stopping with Demco Autoslide 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch
- Recommended Fifth Wheel Hitch For 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 With Truck Bed Toolbox
- Is Demco Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch Compatible With Reese Adapter on Ram Factory Puck System
- Sliding 5th Wheel Hitch for a 2015 Ram 2500 with a B&W Turnover Gooseneck Ball
- Install Bracket Kit for Demco Hijacker 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch in a 2004 Dodge Ram Short Bed
- Demco Hijacker Autoslide Compatible with 2020 Ram 2500 with Factory Prep Package Pucks
- Best 5th Wheel Hitch For 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Short Bed Without OEM Prep Package
- Distance From Front of DM8550034 Demco Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch to Front of Bed on 2011 Ford F250
- Troubleshooting A Demco Hijacker Autoslide 5th Wheel Hitch that Won't Couple
- How to Determine Height Setting for Hijacker Autoslider When Used on a 2020 Ram 2500
- Automatic Sliding Fifth Wheel Hitch Recommendation for 2013 Chevy Silverado
- Recommended 5th Wheel Hitch for Towing a GVWR 16,250 lb Trailer with a 2006 Ram 3500 Short Bed
- How to Convert 18K Demco Hijacker to Fit Puck System on a 2019 Ford F-250 with a 6-3/4' Bed
- B&W Companion Slider Hitch for 2018 Ford F-350 Super Duty Short Bed with Factory Prep