Tow Bar Wiring Recommendation for 2016 Jeep Wrangler that Has Trailer Wiring Installed Already
I recently purchased a Quadratec 4-way Trailer Tow Harness 92015.8001 along with some Versahitch equipment. The harness is installed and allows me to legally pull a trailer behind the Wrangler. In addition to towing with the Wrangler I plan to tow the Wrangler behind a Class C motorhome. Will the Hopkins Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles HM56200 plug in and be compatible with the trailer tow harness currently installed? Thanks for the help and the great Jeep products you represent.
asked by: Bob
Helpful Expert Reply:
Since you have a trailer wiring harness installed already that ties into the Jeep's taillight wiring harnesses your best solution will be to use a tow bar wiring setup that bypasses that since the Hopkins kit part # HM56200 is not compatible with vehicles that have trailer wiring installed already.
For lighting you can use the diode kit, # RM-15267, and not have to worry about cutting into the taillight housing. This will splice into your taillight wiring to allow your tow vehicle to control the taillight assemblies of the towed vehicle. This comes with a round 6-way connector that you will install on the front of your towed vehicle and enough coiled wire to go from there to the RV.
I attached an install video on a similar Jeep as yours as well.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Tow Bar Wiring
- Splices into Vehicle Wiring
- Diode Kit
- Tail Light Mount
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Shop: Hopkins Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles
- Shop: Vehicle Tow Bar Wiring
- Q&A: Flat Tow Lighting Solution For 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Article: Flat Towing Package for 2007-2018 JK Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Q&A: What do I Need to Flat Tow a Jeep Wrangler JK with Factory Bumper
- Article: Best Vehicles to Flat Tow Behind an RV
- Article: Must-Have Flat Towing Components
- Article: Roadmaster Vehicle Specific Base Plates
- Q&A: Tow Bar Lighting Solution for 2015 GMC Sierra 1500
- Article: Tow Bar Wiring: Which Wiring Kit is for You?
- Q&A: Parts Needed For Flat Towing a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- Q&A: Lighting and Wiring Options for Flat-Towing a Jeep Wrangler Behind a Motor Home
- Q&A: Complete Flat Towing Setup for a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Q&A: Braking, Wiring, and Charge Kit for Flat Towing 2013 Ford Edge