bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Adapter Needed to Convert 4-Pole Trailer Connector to 7-Way for 1997 Chevy Tahoe


97 tahoe with 4 pin flat plug. my trailor has a 7 pin male plug. do you have an adapter?


Expert Reply:

We offer an adapter that will convert your existing 4-pole to a 7-way. Part # 37185 also features a 4-pole for smaller trailers.

If your trailer has brakes and you want them to actuate, you will also need a brake controller installed on your Tahoe.

I would recommend a proportional controller, like the Tekonsha Prodigy 2 part # 90885. A proportional controller is preferable to the older time-delayed controllers, because the proportional controller can sense how quickly and with how much intensity the vehicle brakes are being applied. A proportional controller will send the proper voltage to the trailer brakes so that the trailer brakes at the same rate as the tow vehicle, saving wear and tear on both braking systems as well as improved braking.

If you are needing to install a controller, I would recommend our Brake Controller Install Kit, part # ETBC7. This kit includes the adapter mentioned above, plus all wire, circuit breakers and hardware to complete the installation.

We have a Brake Controller Install Guide that you might find helpful, as well as a FAQ page that features additional information about brake controllers. Click on the provided links.

expert reply by:
Mike L

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>