Troubleshooting Brake Controller Installation When Brakes Lock Up
Just installed tekonsha p3 set the controller all the way to 0.0 and trailer brakes still lock up what could be wrong???
asked by: Adam
It sounds like you have the red wire from the brake controller attached to the wrong wire on the stoplight switch. It should be attached to the side of the switch that shows power only when the brakes are applied.
If attached to the incorrect side, it will apply the brakes all the time. I have attached a link to a helpful article that explains how to troubleshoot a brake controller you can check out. You can use a circuit tester like part # PTW2993 to make sure you have run the wires for your brake controller correctly.
If you have a 2005 Chevrolet the red wire from the vehicle specific harness is not in the correct place on the connector. Or there could be an issue with the trailer connector not being pinned out to match the truck trailer connector and your brakes could be getting 12V current all the time.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Electrical Tools
- Circuit Tester
- Performance Tool
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Towing a Trailer? Let's Talk About Brake Controllers
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 and the P3 Brake Controllers
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Add 7-Way & Brake Controller on 2023 Kia Sportage
- Article: 5 Things to Know About Weight Distribution Hitches
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a 4-Way and 7-Way Trailer Connector
- Article: Installing an Electric Brake Controller on 2007-2013 GM Full-Size Truck or 2007-Present GM SUV
- Q&A: Should I Get a Proportional or Time-Delayed Brake Controller
- Q&A: Bypassing Factory Brake Controller and Installing Aftermarket Model on 2018 GMC Sierra 3500
- Q&A: Lug Nut Torque Chart for Trailer Wheels
- Q&A: Wiring Configuration for Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller 90195