Recommended Hitch-Mounted 4-Bike Rack for RV
Im interested in a Swagman 4 place bike rack, but I see in QandA that it is nor recommended for an RV. I would be mounting using a 2inch welded in receiver and not on a bumper. Can it be used in this application?
asked by: Jeff W
For a 4-bike hitch mounted rack that is compatible with your RV, I recommend the Swagman XP # S64940. This will fit into the 2 inch trailer hitch on your RV and can hold up to 4 bikes at 35 pounds each. The cradles will secure the bikes by their frames and rotate to keep them level during trips. I have included a video review of this rack for you.
The reason there are additional restrictions with carrying more bikes on an RV trailer hitch is because motorhomes and RVs bounce more than cars and trucks and, therefore, put more stress on hitch-mounted accessories. However, the Swagman XP is specifically designed for use on the rear of a motorhome or RV and has been engineered to withstand the additional jarring that will take place.
I also recommend adding the Swagman Anti-Rattle Hitch Lock and Cable # S64030 to secure both the rack to your hitch and the bikes to the rack.
Lastly, if you plan on carrying any women's or children's bikes that have alternative frames, you may need an adapter bar like the Swagman # 64005 to provide the needed horizontal mounting point for level transport.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Spare Tire Bike Racks
- Trunk Bike Racks
- Adapter Bar
- 24-3/8 - 33-3/4 Inch Long
more information >
- Trailer Hitch Lock
- Rack Specific Locks
- Keyed Unique
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- Threaded Pin
- For Swagman Racks
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Weight of 24x40 etrailer Cargo Carrier for RV Bumper
- Q&A: Can I Use A Hollywood Racks Destination Bike Rack On A Class C Motorhome
- Q&A: Hollywood 4 Bike Rack For 2022 Coachmen Leprechaun Motorhome
- Q&A: Recommended RV Rated Bike Rack to Carry 4 Bikes
- Article: Carrying Bikes While Towing a 5th Wheel Camper Trailer
- Q&A: Will Swagman Original Bike Rack WOrk in Mount N Lock Hitch and Bumper
- Q&A: Recommended Tire Chains for 2018 Audi Q5 with 235/60R18
- Q&A: 4 Bike Rack Availability for Hitch of Travel Trailer
- Article: What is an RV-Approved Bike Rack? (And Do You REALLY Need One?)
- Article: How to Carry Bikes While Towing a Travel Trailer
- Article: Rooftop Cargo Carriers
- Article: RV Sway Control, Stabilization, and Suspension Enhancement
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Electric Bikes
- Article: 30-Amp and 50-Amp RV Service: 8 Things You Need to Know