How to Prevent Water from Entering 6-Pole Vehicle Socket When Not in Use
Dear Sir I have a Pollak 11-607 6 pin socket on the front of my car for towing behind my motorhome. When not being towed the metal or plastic cover over the pins does not offer adequate protection from ingress of water when driving in adverse conditions. My car is equipped with an “Invisibrake” braking system which is prone to activate if a moisture induced short occurs at the socket. This is well documented on www.irv2.com an RV’ers forum. A removable rubberized cover would go a long way to alleviating this problem. Does such a product exist? I am familiar with the boot for the wiring exit but front protection is also needed. Thank you.
asked by: Phil N
Helpful Expert Reply:
I understand the circumstances and the need you describe but unfortunately we do not have an add-on protective cover for a 6-pole. You might try a healthy application of dielectric grease # 11755 to prevent shorts from moisture entering the socket. This would require periodic re-application but it would work to keep water out of the socket.
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: Recommended 5th Wheel Rails for a 2024 Chevy Silverado 2500 w/out the Puck System
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Q&A: How to Clean a 7-Way Trailer Wiring Connector
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: Recommended 7-Way Connector and Brake Controller for a 2022 Hyundai Tucson
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Install Curt Echo Mobile on 2023 Toyota Highlander with 4-Way
- Q&A: What Size Trailer Hitch Receiver Opening Comes On a 2024 Chevrolet Silverado 3500?
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a 4-Way and 7-Way Trailer Connector
- Q&A: Recommended Optronics Tail Light With 3-Prong Plug Attached