Recommended Fifth Wheel Hitch For 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 With Truck Bed Toolbox
I have a 97 dodge 2500 4x4 longbed. It has a 100 gal L tank with tool box and tool box sit 7inch above the bed and fuel tank pump is up against the rear window. Could a auto slider like the pullrite,sidewinder or comparable be used to gain clearance for turning . I would hate to have to keep removing the tank/box all the time
asked by: Robert S
You can put a sliding fifth wheel hitch in your 1997 Dodge 2500 and that would give you additional clearance behind the cab. The concern I have is the clearance above the bed rails with your tool box and fuel pump. I have attached a drawing that shows how much clearance is needed above the bed rails when towing. You will need 5 to 6 inches clearance above the bed.
I recommend the Demco Hijacker Autoslide part # DM8550034. This hitch automatically slides rearward 14-inches when you are making turns and returns when you straighten out. The installation kit for this hitch is part # DM8552009-71.
To make sure you have the clearance you can measure from the center of your king pin to the nose of the trailer and then in the truck bed measure from the center of the rear axle forward to the toolbox. That will show you whether your toolbox interferes with the trailer when towed.
I have attached a link to a helpful article you can check out.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Fifth Wheel Installation Kit
- Above the Bed
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Does Truck with 6-1/2 ft bed Have to Use Slider Hitch for Turning Clearance with Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Article: 4 Steps to Choosing Your 5th Wheel Pin Box
- Q&A: Do I Have to Have a Sliding 5th Wheel Hitch in a Short Bed Truck
- Q&A: Are Capture Plates Needed When Using the Demco Autoslide With a Lippert Road Armor Pin Box
- Article: Sidewinder with Rotating Turret for Short Bed Pickups
- Q&A: Will the B&W Companion Fit Into OEM Pucks on a 2024 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
- Q&A: Do I Need a Capture Plate for a Rota Flex Pin Box?
- Article: Ram Trailer Tow Prep Package
- Q&A: Side Plates Needed To Install Demco 21K Autoslide 5th Wheel Hitch In a 2023 GMC Sierra 3500 Puck Bed
- Q&A: Recommended Autosliding Hitch and 5th Wheel Rails for a 2023 Ram 2500
- Article: Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapters
- Article: Guide to Choosing the Best Truck for 5th-Wheel Towing
- Article: Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch Information and Installation Tips
- Article: How to Measure for Travel Trailer and Fifth Wheel Steps