Will Thule Roadway 4 Bike Carrier Fit a 2009 to 2011 Subaru Forester with a Class I Trailer Hitch
I have heard that not all racks fit the forrestor hitch properly. what is the best bike rack to buy. I have hitch 24807 installed on my subaru. can it support a 4 bike rack?
asked by: Khozem
In a situation where an accessory, like the Thule Roadway 4 Bike Carrier, # TH914XT, will not properly fit a trailer hitch, it could be a couple of different issues. Since the trailer hitch on your Subaru Forester is a Class I trailer hitch, a Class II accessory will not fit. The Roadway is designed to work with Class I or II 1-1/4 inch trailer hitches.
Another potential issue that comes up is the paint or powder coat on the accessory going into the hitch may make it a tight fit. If this occurs, some of the paint or powder coat can be removed so the accessory will fit. You would just have to make sure you were not removing metal from the accessory shank. I have not heard of any problems with trailer hitches on the Subaru Forrester like this.
Since your Forrester has a Class I trailer hitch, you can only carry 2 bikes even if using a 3 or 4 bike rack. A Class I trailer hitch is not rated to handle the stresses associated with carrying 3 or more bikes. You will also want to measure the distance from the center of the hitch pin hole out to the distance required to clear the rear bumper. If that distance is less than 11-7/8 inches, the Hitching Post Pro will fit.
I have included a link to our FAQ article on the different trailer hitch classes.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Recommended Bike Rack for a 2012 Volvo XC 70
- Does the Thule Hitching Post Pro or the Thule Camber have Shorter Arms
- Recommended Hitch for a Bike Rack on a 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
- Trailer Hitch and Bike Rack Recommendations for a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
- What Bike Rack Can Be Used With The Thule Tram Or The Yakima HitchSki
- How to Use Thule Bike Rack with 3 inch Trailer Hitch
- 4-Bike Hanging-Style Hitch Rack for Use in 1-1/4-Inch and 2-Inch Hitches
- 3- or 4-Bike Hitch Rack for Use on Class C Winnebago Motor Home
- Recommended Bike Rack for 3 Bikes
- Does The Thule Hitching Post Pro Work With A 2012 Toyota RAV4
- How to Use a Carbon Frame Bike on the Thule Hitching Post Bike Rack
- Is the Thule Hitching Post Pro Available With A 2 Inch Shank Only
- What Do You Recommend for Transporting 4 Bikes on a 2017 Mazda 6?
- Comparing the Thule Vertex and Thule Hitching Post Pro for a 2015 Toyota Sienna
- Comparing Thule Hitching Post Pro and Yakima RidgeBack 4-Bike Racks
- Comparing Thule Hitching Post Bike Rack to Curt Premium 5 Bike Rack
- Which Trailer Hitch Is Needed To Use Thule 4-Bike Rack On 2018 Kia Soul?
- What Is The Per Bike Weight Limit Of The Thule Hitching Post Pro 4 Bike Rack?
- Differences Between Thule Hitching Post Pro # TH934XTR and Vertex # TH9029
- Trailer Hitch Mount Bike Rack Recommendations for a 2013 Honda CR-V
- Thule Hitching Post Pro Compatibility With a 2022 Ford Bronco Sasquatch Edition
- Dou you recommend the Thule Hitching Post Pro or the Hollywood Racks Destination
- Measuring to Determine if Bike Rack Will Clear Spare Tire on Jeep Wrangler
- Hitch Pin Hole Depth Required For A Thule Receiver Hitch Bike Rack
- Will the Thule TH914XT Fit on a 2009 Toyota Rav4 with Rear Door Mounted Spare Tire
- Rear Door Clearance on 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited with Thule Hitching Post Pro Rack TH934XTR
- Trailer Hitch and Bike Rack Recommendations for a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 and 4 Bikes
- How Tall is the Vertical Arm of the Thule Hitching Post Pro Hitch Mount Bike Rack