What Supports the Exhaust Once Hanging when Installing a Trailer Hitch on a 2012 Subaru Forester
I cant tell what you are attaching the exhaust support strap to. And then, once the rubber brackets are released, are you letting the weight of the mufflers hang on the headers? Seems like a lot of weight? Or is there another forward bracket still taking the weight? Thanks!
asked by: Don G
It looks like our installer attached the support strap to something in the vicinity of the anti-sway bar. It doesn't really matter what it is attached to as long as it is a solid structure that won't be damaged when supporting the weight of the exhaust.
The strap is supporting the exhaust once it is lowered. It isn't hanging just resting on the support strap. This would not put undue stress on the exhaust manifold.
If you plan on doing some towing I recommend etrailer ball mount kit # 989900. It comes with 2 ball mounts; one with a 3/4 inch rise or 2 inch drop and one with a 2-3/4 inch rise or 4 inch drop. It also includes a 1-7/8 inch ball, 2 inch ball, hitch pin with clip, and a storage bag.
If the ball mount kit does not have the right rise or drop to tow the trailer level, use the link I have included that explains how to measure to choose a ball mount to tow the trailer level.
And for a trailer wiring harness you can use # 118467 to add a 4-Way flat connector to the rear of the vehicle.
Your answer has been submitted!
Products Referenced in This Question
- Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring
- Trailer Hitch Wiring
- Powered Converter
- Custom Fit
- 4 Flat
more information >
- Trailer Hitch Ball Mount
- Fixed Ball Mount
- 1-7/8 Inch Ball
- 2 Inch Ball
- Two Balls
- Steel Ball
- Steel Shank - Gloss Black
- Drop - 2 Inch
- Drop - 4 Inch
- Rise - 1 Inch
- Rise - 3 Inch
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- 7500 lbs GTW
- Class III
- Ball Mount Kit
more information >
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Replacement Installation Hardware For Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver 13147 on 2009-2013 Subaru Forester
- Do Draw-Tite and Curt Hitch Receivers Require Stabilizing Straps to Satisfy Warranty Requirements
- Curt vs. Draw-Tite Hitch for a 2009 Subaru Forester XT
- Fit Curt Class III Receiver Part # 13147 for a 2011 Subaru Forester
- Trailer Hitch Recommendation for a 2009 Subaru Forester for Carrying 4 Bike Rack
- Do I Need to Remove the Exhaust on My 2011 Subaru Forrester to Install Curt Hitch # 13147
- Hitch Spacers For Curt Trailer Hitch # 13147
- Exhaust Will Not Lower on 2009 Subaru Forester to Install Curt Trailer Hitch
- Installing Curt Custom Fit Trailer Hitch Receiver # 13147 on 2012 Subaru Forester
- Trailer Hitch, Ball Mount, Hitch Ball, and Wiring Recommendation for a 2010 Subaru Forester
- Recommended Trailer Hitch For 2011 Subaru Forester
- Does the 2009 Subaru Forester Hitch Fit the 2010 Subaru Forester
- Recommended Trailer Hitch w/ 2 Inch Receiver For Carrying Bike Rack on 2009 Subaru Forester
- Does the Fishwire Tool Come with Trailer Hitch # 13147, Will the Holes Rust on 2009 Subaru Forester
- Hitch Recommendation for a 2014 Subaru Forester
- Replacement Hardware Kit for Curt Trailer Hitch 13147 for a 2012 Subaru Forester
- Platform Bike Rack Recommendation for a 2012 Subaru Forester
- Trailer Hitch and Wiring Recommendations for a 2011 Subaru Forester
- Class III Hitch for 2009 Subaru Forester for Use with Hitch-Mounted Scooter Carrier
- Trailer Hitch Recommendation for 2013 Subaru Forester that Doesn't Require Stabilizer Strap
- Towing Products For 2010 Subaru Forester
- Trailer Hitch and Brake Controller Recommendation for a 2012 Subaru Forester
- Recommended Trailer Hitch Receiver for 2010 Subaru Forester
- Trailer Hitch, Wiring, and Brake Controller Recommendation for a 2010 Subaru Forester
- Rear Fascia Trimming on a 2009 Subara Forester
- Class III Trailer Hitch for 2011 Subaru Forester
- Replacement Hardware Recommendation for a Hitch for a 2013 Subaru Forester
- Trailer Wiring and 4-Way Mounting Brackets for a 2011 Subaru Forester
- Trailer Hitch with Best Ground Clearance for 2009 Subaru Forester
- Are The Chain Loops On a Hitch Rated As Tow Points?