Recommended Trailer Hitch And Motorcycle Carrier For 2008 Ford Escape With V6 Engine
My girlfriend is in the navy and we recently moved to northeast new york. I still live in KY and have to take both her vehicle and my DRZ which weighs about 275. The gfs ford escape is the XLT with the V6 and 4wd and has a 1-1/4inch hitch, which is factory mounted on the rear, but we both have liggtweight dual sport bikes and she wants a carrier for the back anyway. So i need a 2 inch hitch that either adapts to or replaces the standard, and a carrier that will hold one bike without exceeding the tongue weight. Appreciate the help. Thank you for your time.
asked by: Tony
Per the owner's manual for your 2008 Escape, the tongue weight capacity is 350-lbs for a V6 3.0L engine. Any of the other engines in a Ford Escape are limited to 150-lbs.
The motorcycle carriers we offer are all designed for 2-inch trailer hitch receivers. We do not have a 1-1/4 motorcycle carrier available. Using any adapter on the 1-1/4 trailer hitch you have would reduce the capacity of the hitch by 50-percent.
My recommendation is to have the older hitch removed and replaced with a Class lll hitch like part # 75751. This is a Class llll hitch and it has a 2-inch receiver.
The motorcycle carrier I recommend is the etrailer Motorcycle Carrier, part # e98873. This carrier weighs about 58-lbs so that added to the weight of the bike at 275-lbs will be under the 350-lb capacity
Your answer has been submitted!
Products Referenced in This Question
- Hitch Cargo Carrier
- Motorcycle Carrier
- Fixed Carrier
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
more information >
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Trailer Hitch Fit for 2020 Ford Escape
- Recommended Hitch for a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid
- Installation Instructions for the Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch # 75751 on a 2006 Ford Escape
- 2 inch Trailer Hitch Recommendation for 2012 Ford Escape
- Does the Draw-Tite Hitch # 75751 fit under the Spare of a 2009 Ford Escape
- Availability of 2 Inch Hitch to Fit 2009 Ford Escape with Factory Class II Tow Package and Hitch
- How Do You Remove An OEM Hitch Receiver For A 2005 Ford Escape
- Trailer Hitch that Fits 2010 Mercury Mariner
- Trailer Hitch, Ball Mount, and Trailer Wiring Recommendations for a 2010 Ford Escape XLT
- Does Draw Tite Hitch 75751 Fit 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Fit Full Size Spare
- Can a Hitch Be Installed on a 2012 Escape With a Full Size Spare Tire?
- Replacement Hardware for Reese Hitch 44680 for a 2012 Ford Escape
- Will the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Class III Trailer Hitch Fit on a 2005 Mazda Tribute S
- Recommend Ball Mount For Draw-Tite 75751 On 2010 Ford Escape
- Can 1-1/4 Inch Factory Hitch on 2010 Ford Escape Be Removed to Install 2 Inch Hitch
- Where is the Draw-Tite Hitch 75751 for a 2011 Ford Escape Made
- Can Weight Distribution System Be Used With 1-1/4 Trailer Hitch Receiver On 2005 Ford Escape
- Will Draw-Tite Class III Part # 75751 Fit 2010 Ford Escape With Exhaust Dampener
- What is Towing Capacity of 2012 Ford Escape with Draw Tite Hitch 75751 Installed
- Towing Capacity for 2008 Ford Escape with a 3.0 liter V8
- Recommended Trailer Hitch For 2012 Ford Escape
- Maximum Gross Trailer Weight and Tongue Weight Rating of the Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch Part # 75751
- Recommended Towing Components for 2007 Ford Escape XLT
- How to Order Replacement Installation Hardware for a Trailer Hitch
- Does the Draw-Tite # 75751 Trailer Hitch Just Bolt Right up When Being Installed on 2008 Ford Escape
- Installing Draw-Tite Class III Receiver # 75751 on 2005 Mazda Tribute with Factory Receiver
- Does Draw Tite Hitch # 75751 Fit 2011 Ford Escape with Factory Hitch and Full Size Spare
- Trailer Hitch Recommendation for 2009 Ford Escape to Tow Small Ski Doo Trailer
- What Does Draw Tite Hitch part # 75751 Weigh
- Recommended Hitch Fit for 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid