bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Parts Needed to Flat Tow a 2000 Chevy S-10 Behind an RV


Will the curt is tow bar work on a 2000 s10


Expert Reply:

Curt Tow Bar # C19745 isn't vehicle specific so you can use it on your 2000 Chevy S-10. It comes with universal bumper brackets that will need to mount to a flat, metal section of the vehicle bumper which does require modifying/reinforcing the bumper/vehicle. This tow bar is fine for moving vehicles short distances but as a regular use tow bar it is not a good solution.

If you will be towing the S-10 long distances behind an RV then I recommend a custom flat towing set up. For that you will need base plates, a tow bar, safety cables, lighting, and supplemental braking.

If your truck is a 2-wheel drive model use # 161-1. For a 4-wheel drive model use # 179-3. Then you can use the Roadmaster Tracker tow bar, # RM-020, with quick disconnects # RM-201 to make the base plate arms easily removable. For safety cables I recommend # RM-643 because the coiled design helps keep the cables off of the ground.

For lighting you can save some money by using a magnetic light kit such as # RM-2120. For a more permanent solution you can use 4-diode kit # RM-15267.

You may also need a high/low adapter to keep the tow bar level. I have linked a help article showing how to measure and a link to the high/low adapters we carry.

And finally, most states now require supplemental braking on the vehicle being flat towed. One of the preferred systems for our installers and what I recommend is the SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO proportional system, # SM99251. It will apply the vehicle brakes in proportion to how much the tow vehicle is braking. This is the safest way to stop and it reduces wear and tear on both vehicles.

Be sure to consult your vehicle owners manual for specific information on flat towing the vehicle. I have also included some helpful links to our series of help articles on flat towing for you.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>