Effectiveness of Cable Locks Included in Bike Racks Like Kuat Transfer 2 TS02G
Hello, The Kuat cable lock looks like its only held in place in the rack arms using a single torx bolt. Does this mean that even if I use it to lock my bike, anyone with a torx screw can just remove the cable lock bolt to free the whole lock from the rack? Thank you
asked by: Julien C
The Torx wrench required to remove the integral cable lock on the Transfer 2 bike rack TS02G is not one commonly found in hardware stores, according to my contact at Kuat. But yes, this is what is required to remove the cable lock from the rack.
The reality of bike rack locks, and most other types, is that they all can be defeated by a thief with enough time and determination. The true anti-theft benefit of a lock such as the cable type included in the excellent Kuat Transfer 2 hitch rack is that its presence may deter the thief and induce him or her to move on to a less difficult target. Please forgive me if I overstate the point, but even if you were to weld your bike to the rack (just saying this for illustration purposes) anyone with a cutting torch could still steal it. The idea is essentially to make your bike a much less appealing target than the others.
A great way to do this is to use multiple locks that are conspicuously visible. For instance, if you were using the Transfer 2 and had it locked to your hitch, using multiple cable locks - the included one and a visible add-on like # e98891 - would tend to give the would-be thief reason to move on to an easier target.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Easy Way to Lock Bikes and Bike Rack to Trailer Hitch of Vehicle
- Do You Manufacture Your Own Parts?
- Where to Attach a Cable Lock to a Trailer Hitch to Secure a Bike Rack
- How To Lock The Rola TX-103 Bike Rack On A 2 Inch Receiver
- Cable Lock Recommendation for Reese Eclipse Bike Rack 63124
- Does etrailer Cable Lock Warranty Cover a Stolen Bike
- Recommended Replacement Cable Lock for a Rola TX 104 Bike Rack
- Recommended Bike Lock that can be Keyed Alike
- Locking Device Recommendation for J-Hook Style Yakima Kayak Carriers
- Replacement Keys for the etrailer.com 10 Long Cable Lock
- How Can I Secure the Bikes to Reese Eclipse Bike Hitch Mounted Folding Rack 63124
- Do the Hollywood Racks Cables and Hitch Pins Allow for the Keyed-Alike Option
- Does Swagman Dispatch Have Locks For Bikes
- Hitch Lock Recommendation for Rola TX-103 Bike Rack Used in 2 inch Hitch
- Recommended Cable Lock for the Reese Explore 4 Bike Rack
- How to Lock the Reese Q-Slot PS63138
- Locks for an RV Refrigerator Door
- Recommended Cable Lock For Swagman Original 4-Bike Carrier
- How to Lock Rola Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier to Vehicle
- Needing A Long Cable To Lock 4 Bikes To My Bike Rack
- Kuat Transfer Threaded Hitch Bolt Not Long Enough to Lock on 2018 Toyota Tacoma Factory Hitch
- Adding a Bike Lock to a Thule Hitch Bike Rack Without Integrated Bike Locks
- Available Lengths and Diameters of Cable Locks
- How to Lock Bikes to Older Model Thule Vertex Bike Rack
- Recommended Cable Lock to Deter Theft of a Honda 2200 Generator on Rear of Travel Trailer
- Recommendation on a Swagman Bike Rack That Can be Used on Both a Ford F-150 and a Travel Trailer
- Cable Lock Recommendation for Yakima Light Rider to Prevent Disassembly Theft
- Lock Options for SportRack Upshift Deluxe Roof-Rack-Mount Bike Carrier
- Cable Lock To Secure Fifth Wheel To Truck Bed On 2014 Ford Super Duty
- Dimensions Of Eyelet On etrailer Cable Lock - 10' Long e98891