bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Will Replacing Trailer Pin Box To Goose Box Allow 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Short Bed To Make Sharp Turns


Can i convert my 5th wheel hitch on my camper with a gooseneck on 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6 foot short bed truck..and be able to turn 90 degrees


Expert Reply:

You can replace the king pin on your fifth wheel trailer with a Goose Box. To find the right replacement you need to know what pin box is currently installed. For example, if you have a Lippert 1621 pin box you would replace it with part # RP94720 for a 20K or # RP94716 for 16K.

Installing a Goose Box does not offer additional clearance for short bed trucks above what the stock pin box would offer.

To get extra clearance you would need to use an offset gooseneck ball, if available for the gooseneck trailer hitch you have.

If you can let me know what the make and model of the gooseneck hitch you have in your truck I can determine if we have an offset ball available.

To find out if your Ram 3500 will have enough clearance to make tight turns you will need to insert a few measurements into the following formula:

(A + B) - C = Clearance
A = Distance from the gooseneck ball to the truck cab
B = Offset used, like if you used a Offset Extension Ball # 19308
C = Width of the nose of the trailer divided by 2.

expert reply by:
Jeffrey L

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>