bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Recommended Components Needed To Flat Tow a 2006 Jeep Wrangler


I just bought a used jeep to flat tow behind a 32foot c class. The jeep has just regular factory bumpers, but im not sure what plate to get. I also need everything else to install dont have time to order if I forget something. Thanks.


Expert Reply:

For your 2006 Jeep Wrangler, I recommend the Roadmaster EZ5 Base Plate Kit, # RM-521424-5. This base plate kit has hidden mounting brackets and removable drawbars to give your Jeep clean and invisible look when not hooked up to your RV.

In addition to the base plates, you will also need a compatible tow bar, safety cables, lighting, and supplemental braking to flat tow your vehicle. The most popular compatible tow bar is the Falcon 2, # RM-520. For safety cables you can use # RM-643. The coiled design helps keep the cables off of the ground.

For lighting you can use the diode kit, # RM-15267, and not have to worry about cutting into the taillight housing. This will splice into your taillight wiring to allow your tow vehicle to control the taillight assemblies of the towed vehicle. This comes with a round 6-way connector that you will install on the front of your towed vehicle and enough coiled wire to go from there to the RV.

And finally, most states now require supplemental braking in the vehicle being flat towed. The Roadmaster Even Brake Portable Supplemental Braking System, # RM-9400 that applies the vehicle brakes in proportion to how much the tow vehicle is braking. This is the safest way to stop and it reduces wear and tear on both vehicles.

Most likely you will also need a high low adapter so that the tow bar will be level when you are flat towing. I attached a link to a page that has all of the ones we carry.

I have included a couple of helpful links to our articles on flat towing for you. Be sure to consult the vehicle owners manual for more specific information on flat towing your vehicle.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>