bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Recommended Towing Components For 2013 Ford F-150 For 2009 StarCraft Popup Camper  


I bought a 2009 Starcraft popup camper. I own a 2013 f-150 2 wheel drive truck. What do I need to pull this trailer


Expert Reply:

I don't believe that the 2009 StarCraft Popup Campers needed to have trailer brakes, so for your 2013 Ford F-150 you will need a trailer hitch, 4-way wiring connector, and ball mount.

Without knowing what you already have, I'll give you recommendations for each. For a trailer hitch receiver, I recommend the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" # 75691. This is an easy bolt on installation that will give you a 2 inch receiver opening.

For a wiring harness:
If you have no factory wiring connectors, I recommend the Tekonsha 4-Pole Hardwire Kit with Circuit Tester # 18252. This will come with quick splice connectors for an easy install. You may be interested in the Mounting Bracket 4-Pole Flat # 18144 which will connect to the hitch above or mount into a bumper.

For a factory 4 way you won't need to do anything unless you need a replacement like # C56110.

For a factory 7-way, you may need an adapter like # PK12716 if your connection isn't already 4-way compatible.

For a ball mount I recommend the Ball Mount Kit for 2" Hitches - 7,500 lbs # 989900. It comes with 2 ball mounts; one with a 3/4 inch rise or 2 inch drop and one with a 2-3/4 inch rise or 4 inch drop. It also includes a 1-7/8 inch ball, 2 inch ball, hitch pin with clip, and a storage bag. I've attached an article on choosing the correct ball mount. It is highly likely that your trailer coupler will have the 2 inch hitch ball compatibility.

If you are interested in a versatile ball mount, I recommend the Curt Channel Adjustable Ball Mount # C45900 which comes with the adjustability to tow level and comes with 2 hitch ball options of 2 inches and 2-5/16 inches.

I recommend the Trailer Hitch Receiver Lock - Stainless Steel Flush Design for 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver # e98882 to protect your investment and deter theft.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>