Recommended Axle Capacity for 12,000 Pound Home Made Trailer
Im building a 33 foot boat trailer with 3 axles. The boat weight is around 10,000 lbs and a trailer weight of about 1800 lbs. what do you recommend ?
asked by: David W
In total you need enough capacity for around 12,000 pounds. Using tradition axles you can use 4,400 pound axles but those tend to be fairly expensive and replacement parts can be harder to find later. But the capacity of 3 of them would be 13,200 pounds which is a good place to be at.
Another option is to use 6,000 pound axles. Making the trailer tandem axle instead of a triple would then be an option if you want. You can still have three 6,000 pound axles and the axles will be rated higher than necessary.
We do not carry 4,400 or 6,000 pound axles so with either I recommend ordering them from a trailer shop that's local to you.
Another option is to use an axle-less system which we do carry the parts for. The Timbren Suspension System # TASR7KS01 is rated for 7,000 pounds. It's 2 separate units that are installed onto the trailer's frame and replace the suspension and axles. However, Timbrens shouldn't be used on triple axle trailers so you would only be able to have a tandem axle trailer.
On another note I've attached an image with a formula that may help you determine the placement of the axles and the suspension hangers.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Does Timbren Make a 10,000Lb Axle Less Trailer Kit?
- Timbren Axle-Less Replacement System for Outdoors RV Back Country Series 28DBS
- Replacement 7,000LB Trailer Axle For a 89 Hub Face and 74 Spring Center
- Recommended Disc Brake Kit For Timbren Axle-Less 7,000-Lb Trailer Suspension System
- Brake Assembly for 12 Inch Brake Drum With 4-Bolt Mounting Pattern
- Timbren Trailer Suspension Kits and Disc Brake Upgrades For Lippert 7,000LB Trailer Axles
- Replacing Dexter 7,000lb Axles With Timbren Axle-Less Suspension
- Does 4 inch Drop For Timbren Axle Less Systems Mean the Trailer will Sit Closer to Ground
- Timbren Axle Less 7K Axle TASR7KS01 Install Dimensions
- Will the Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System Work On a Keystone Montana with 7K Axles
- Can I use the Timbren Axle-Less System on a Triple Axle Trailer?
- 7K Dexter Axle P-12 Model SLR Potential Replacement Alternative
- Why Can't Timbren Axle-Less Suspension be Used for Triple Axle Trailer Application
- Why Should Timbren Axle Less System be Used on Triple Axle Trailer
- Recommended Trailer Axles for 83 Inch Wide Car Trailer
- Actual Weight Of Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System # TASR7KS01
- How Much Travel Distance Is Recommended for Fender Clearance with Timbren Axle-less Suspension?
- Highest Capacity Timbren Axle Less Tandem Axle Setup Recommendation, Hubs, Actuator Brake Line
- Compatibility of Installing the Timbren Axle-Less Suspension System on an Aluminum Trailer Frame
- Replacement Axle Assembly for 6,000 lb Torsion Axle Bend Spindle on 2012 ATC Car Hauler Trailer
- What Timbren Axle Setup do You Recommend for a Custom Trailer with 5500 GVWR?
- TImbren Axle-Less Suspension on a Rebuilt Camper
- Weight Capacity of Timbren Axle-less Suspension Systems
- Can Timbren AxleLess Kit Install on I-Beam Trailer
- Recommendation for Trailer Axle on Wide Trailer
- Timbren Axle-Less System That Uses Hubs With 8 on 6-1/2 Bolt Pattern
- Axle Replacement for Dexter SLR P12 #13 Torflex Axle