How To Test Wires By Function On 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
So my lovely lab when he was a puppy chewed threw my wifes on my 2003 Chevy 2500. Since then I had most of the wiring replaced by a machanic shop and now I am trying to hook up the trailer light plug back in. I got a Chevy pigtail it has all gray wiring. And when I look at schematics online my wires that are on the truck dont match up. Was wondering if I can get some assistance on this matter. Deff attaching pictures to help explain. Thanks
asked by: Trey
You can use a circuit tester like part # PTW2993 to check the wiring on your 2003 Silverado. Have someone run through the functions while you test each wire.
Then label the wires so you can attach them to the correct pins on the trailer connector. Here are the factory wiring harness colors for Chevrolet. Keep in mind the colors may vary so testing them with a circuit tester will really help.
Red - 12V power
Light Blue - Stop Light
Black - Ground
Dark Blue - Trailer Brakes
Brown - Tail Lights.
I have attached a helpful article that explains trailer wiring. In the article there are photos that identify the pins on the 7-way connector by position and function.
- Shop: Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional
- Shop: Brake Controller
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Q&A: Troubleshooting a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller With Trailer Brakes That are not Showing Power
- Article: Troubleshooting Brake Controller Installations
- Q&A: Troubleshooting a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller that Reads Trailer Not Connected
- Q&A: Troubleshooting Non-Functioning 12V Trailer Power Feed on 2016 Silverado 2500
- Q&A: How to Wire Electric Brakes on a Tandem Axle Trailer
- Video: Review of Hopkins Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring - Trailer Hitch Wiring - HM40975
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Shop: Demco 5th Wheel/Gooseneck 90-Degree Wiring Harness with 7-Pole Plug - 10' Long
- Shop: T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
- Shop: 7- and 4-Pole Trailer Connector Socket w/ Mounting Bracket - Vehicle End
- Shop: Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness for Factory Tow Package - 5-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
- Shop: T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 7-Way Trailer Connector
- Search Results: trailer brake controller
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Video: Choosing the Right Trailer Wiring
- Shop: Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires
- Shop: Trailer Hitch
- Video: Choosing the Right Brake Controller
- Search Results: brake controller
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a 4-Way and 7-Way Trailer Connector
- Video: Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller Review
- Q&A: Lug Nut Torque Chart for Trailer Wheels
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Search Results: etbc7
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Shop: Suspension Enhancement