How to Measure to Determine How Much Drop Is Needed for a Ball Mount
hi there. I have a 2 inch hitch receiver that the bottom of the receiver measures 20 inches from the ground. I am towing a trailer that is recommended for 18.5-18.75 inches from the ground measured from the center of the ball I am not experienced at this so Im unsure how much of a drop I need in the ball mount Im going to purchase. Im guessing a 2 inch but Im not sure what to use as a reference point when making the measurements. Can you please recommend a product that may work?
asked by: Mike M
Thanks for the measurements you gave. To determine drop needed you need to measure from the top of the hitch opening to the ground and from the bottom of the coupler lip to the ground. Those two numbers compared is the amount of drop you'd need.
I attached a help article that covers this as well.
Let me know what you come up with and I can get you the best solution. Also, what size ball do you need?
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Will the Draw-Tite 3594 Get Me Close to 16 of Rise if My Hitch is 11 1/2 Off the Ground?
- Trailer Hitch and Wiring for a 2016 Subaru Impreza Sedan
- Why do Some Ball Mounts Have a Drop and Rise and Others Only have a Rise
- How to Measure Ball Mount Rise for Draw-Tite Sportframe Ball Mount # 3594 on a 2002 Buick Regal
- 1-1/4-Inch Ball Mount with 4-Inches of Drop
- Dimensions Of Draw-Tite Sportframe Ball Mount # 3594
- Ball Mount For 1-1/4 Inch Hitch On a 2002 VW Beetle with 4 Inch Rise
- Towing a Trailer with 2014 Mustang GT vs 1999 Honda Civic Coupe
- Will Sportframe Drawbar # 3594 Fit Kubata RTV Receiver
- How to Determine Where Ball Mount Platform for 3594 Will End Up When Installed on 1998 Buick Regal
- Does Suspension Sag Factor When Picking Out Correct Rise/Drop Ball Mount
- Lock Pin Hole Measurement for Class I Hitch
- Ball Mount Recommendation for a 2014 Subaru Forester with a Curt Hitch # C12100
- Will Thule EasyFold XT Fit A Class 1 Trailer Hitch with 1-1/4 Distance from Hitch Pin Hole
- Recommended Ball Mount Draw Bar For 1-1/4 Inch Trailer Hitch Receiver With 4 Inch Rise
- Which Ball Mount and Hitch Ball Should I use with My Draw-Tite 24797 on my 2009 Kia Rondo
- What is the Proper Rise/Drop Ball Mount for a 2006 Honda Civic
- 7-Way for 2017 Honda CR-V and Ball Mount With 2 Inch Hitch Ball
- Pin Hole to Hitch Opening Distance on 2 inch and 1-1/4 inch Hitches
- Recommended Ball Mount for 2010 Ford Fusion Towing Haul Master Trailer
- How to Pick Out Correct Ball Mount for 2015 Ford F-150
- Which is Correct Ball Mount for 1997 Chevrolet Lumina w/ Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch # 24628
- How To Determine What Size Ball Mount Will Fit On 2006 Chevy HHR
- Compatibility of the Sportframe Drawbar and a 2 Inch Trailer Ball With 3/4 inch Shank
- Ball Mount Recommendation that is 4 inches Shorter than the Sportframe Ball Mount part # 3594
- Trailer Hitch Receiver And Wiring Harness To Tow or Use a Bike Rack On a 2021 Toyota Prius XLE AWD-e
- What Ball Mount is Needed For 15 Inch Hitch Height With Draw-Tite Receiver 24872 on 2014 Ford Focus?
- What Is The Highest Capacity Trailer Hitch Available For A 2021 Mazda 3 Hatchback?
- 2018 Hyundai Sonata Parts Needed to Tow a Trailer