Using a Curt Stabilizing Strap on a 2013 Toyota Highlander with a Spoiler
Hello, I just installed the curt 13534 hitch receiver and have the strap for a bike rack. I have a Highlander 2013 and there is a spoiler at the top of the hatch. I am hesitant to place the strap there in case it damages the spoiler. Where else can I hook the strap to?
asked by: J
You have a couple options to use the Curt Stabilizing Strap, part # 18050 with a spoiler.
One option is to use two straps and hook to either side of the rear hatch, circumventing the need to attach to the spoiler at all. You would need to put a lot of effort into tightening the straps, but this would avoid the spoiler.
A variation of this would be to lean the bike rack down, attach the anchoring strap to the bottom of the rear door or the back of the bumper and hold it tight while closing, then tilt the bike rack back up or install it to the hitch and tie it off. This would prevent you from using the rear hatch, but avoids the spoiler.
Finally, you can attach the strap to the Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver, part # 13534, itself, looping around the metal loop where the safety chains would attach.. This is the least stable method, but is an option if you're really wanting to avoid risk to your paint.
I've included a customer image of a Cadillac roof spoiler and how they attached over the top of their spoiler, which I don't recommend doing, as well of one of a customer attaching to the bumper of his vehicle rather than the door.
Additionally in the first attached video, you can see a simple padding solution on the rear of a Toyota Prius.In the attached video of the Yakima HangOut, part # Y02637, you can also see a 2016 Toyota Highlander with the similar support straps on the Yakima HangOut attached to the bottom of the rear hatch door.
Your answer has been submitted!
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trunk Bike Racks
- Frame Mount - Anti-Sway
- 2 Bikes
- Locks Not Included
- Fits Most Factory Spoilers
- 6 Straps
- Adjustable Arms
- Hanging Rack
more information >
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Is Stabilizing Strap Needed For Curt Hitch C13206 or Will Clamp be Okay
- Solution for Having to Use a Hitch Stabilizer Strap on a 2012 Honda Fit Sport with Spoiler
- Trailer Hitch Receiver & Wiring Recommendation For 2021 Land Rover Range Rover Sport
- Recommended Trailer Hitch Receiver for a 2018 Subaru Outback Wagon with Maximum Bumper Clearance
- How to Carry 4 Bikes With a 2016 Chevy Cruze
- Does Curt Still Require Using Stabilizing Straps with Their Trailer Hitches
- How to Avoid Spoiler Contact When Installing the Support Strap # 18050 on a 2017 Volkswagen Golf
- Hitch Receiver Options for a Thule T2 Platform Rack on 2001 Lexus LS 430
- Should I Use Bike Rack Stabilizing Strap on my Subaru Outback
- Recommended Trailer Hitch for 2013 Chevy Camaro LT
- How Many Straps Do I Need to Secure My Yakima Big Horn to My 1993 Honda Accord
- Comparing Curt and Draw-Tite Class II Trailer Hitch Receivers For a 2006 Subaru Forester
- Trailer Hitch Option for a 2017 Chevy Bolt
- Why Does Curt Require Support Straps on their Hitch Receivers
- Where to Connect Curt Stabilizer Strap When Using with a Camper
- Using the Curt Stabilizing Strap on a 2013 BMW X1's Bike Rack
- Do I Need the Curt Stabilizing Strap on My Class III Curt Hitch?
- Where to Attach Stabilizer Strap for a Trailer Hitch Mount Bike Rack on a 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser
- Can the Curt Stabilization Strap Be Used on a 2010 Honda Civic Si with Rear Spoiler
- Why Does Curt Require Stabilizing Strap While Hidden Hitch and Draw-Tite Do Not
- Dimensions of Curt Support Strap with Cambuckle for Bike Racks and Cargo Carriers
- Using Curt Bike Rack Strap Part # 18050 to Help with Bike Rack Bounce on a 2010 Mazda 5
- Is the Curt Stabilizing Strap # 18050 Required With Curt Class II Hitch # C12097
- Can the Curt Stabilizer Strap Be Attached Lower to Accommodate Glass Hatchbacks
- Longest Wheelbase Bike That Fits Curt 2-Bike Rack C18085
- Is Stabilizing Strap Required for Curt Hitch on 2017 Toyota Prius
- Using a Hollywood Racks 1450E with a 5th Wheel RV
- Why Does Curt Require a Stabilizer Strap But Hidden Hitch Doesn't
- How Long is the Curt Stabilization Strap 18050
- Recommended Support Strap for a Cargo Carrier