bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Can You Install an RV Roof Vent Rain Cover on A Plastic Roof Vent?


With regards to that Camco RV and Enclosed Roof Vent Cover, I have another question. The videos that show installation, show that the roof part of the vent is steel. The frame around my vents are plastic. Will the installation still work? I am concerned because the plastic might not be as stable as steel. Thank you, you have been very helpful.


Expert Reply:

You are correct, most older roof vents and/or fans do have a galvanized steel roof flange that mounts to the top of the RV. The Camco Roof Vent Cover, # CAM40431, that you mentioned is often used with these style vents/fans as seen in our installation video.

In recent years, many manufacturers have begun to use roof flanges made from sturdy plastic, including our friends at MaxxAir. I called my contact at MaxxAir to ask about drilling into the plastic flange. He assured me that their fans are definitely strong enough to withstand the drilling that is called for in the installation. However, he did recommend checking with the manufacturer of your fan before drilling. If yours is a MaxxAir, it may already have the mounting tabs to install their similar product, the FanMate Rain Cover, # MA00-955001 in just a few seconds. If not, the FanMate also comes with hardware for mounting similar to the Camco cover.

Please exercise caution when doing any work on the roof of your RV and make sure that you have a friend nearby in case you need assistance. I recommend purchasing a cleaner like RoadMaster's Voom RV Cleaner, # RM-9910, (which can be diluted into a spray bottle) to clean the area around your vent prior to installing the new cover.

Also, keep in mind that when you are installing this type of cover, there will be a small gap underneath the cover. This gap is necessary so that any condensation under the cover has a chance to escape and will not pool around your vent seal. Do not seal this gap with caulk or any other substance.

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>