Fitting a Thule SpareMe 2 Bike Rack to a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Im curious about a product Thule Spare Me 2 Bike Rack - Spare Tire Mount - Folding Dual Arms Item # TH963PRO Will it fit on my 2017 Jeep Wranglers spare tire-Wheels: 17inch x 7.5inch LT255/75R17C BSW Off road?
asked by: Michael
Helpful Expert Reply:
I contacted Thule and verified that the Spare Me 2 Bike Rack, part # TH963PRO is a fit for the 2017 Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited's spare tire. Additionally your 255/75R17 sized tire is about 32 inches in diameter and 10 inches wide. The SpareMe fits tires up to 12-1/2 inches wide (P315 series).
The rack includes a pair of mounting brackets and rubber spacers that can be used to properly fit the rack to the vehicle based on your spare's size. Since your tire is about 10 inches thick, and you'll likely need to use at least the short mounting bracket to clear the spare's wheel and rim. In the video review of the rack that I've included, our team installs a SpareMe 2 onto a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the exact size tire that you have, so you can get an idea of your installation process.
You should consider adding a Swagman Frame Adapter, part # 64005 if you're planning on hauling any Women's, Children's, Step-Through or Aggressive Frame bikes, as this will allow them to ride parallel to the ground and lower the risk of them impacting the ground or vehicle as they would when they are hung at an angle.
Additionally, I recommend adding a 10 foot cable lock, part # e98891 to secure the bikes to the spare tire itself to increase security and deter theft.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Spare Tire Bike Racks
- Trunk Bike Racks
- Adapter Bar
- 24-3/8 - 33-3/4 Inch Long
more information >
- Cable Locks
- Utility Lock
- Keyed Alike
- 10 Feet Long
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Will the Yakima SpareRide Work With the Factory Backup Camera on a 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
- Article: How to Choose a Spare-Tire-Bike Rack
- Q&A: How Tall is the Vertical Arm of the Thule Hitching Post Pro Hitch Mount Bike Rack
- Q&A: How to Choose a Hitch Mount Bike Rack for a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- Q&A: Can the Surco Spare Tire 3-Bike Carrier be Installed Without the Spare Tire on a 2013 Jeep Wrangler
- Q&A: Camper Shell Roof Rack and Kayak Carriers for a Ford Pickup
- Q&A: Can Other Branded Cargo Carriers Be Used With The Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE2 Bike Rack
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack for a Jeep Wrangler
- Q&A: Will 2021 Land Rover Defender Fit with Thule Spare Me 2 Bike Rack
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack That Will Clear a Rear Mounted Spare Tire or Bumper
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: Flat Towing Package for 2007-2018 JK Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited
- Article: Big Truck Big RV
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit