Malone RunWay Spare Tire 3 Bike Rack for a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara and Opening the Rear Door
It looks like this will fit my 2017 Wrangler Sahara. My question is whether the rear door will open with this rack installed
asked by: Jason
The Malone RunWay 3 Bike Carrier is a great addition to your 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Its mounting straps make it easy to install and remove according to your needs.
Be aware that its per bike capacity is 33lbs, so you'll want to be sure that you are observing the weight limits of this carrier.
I can't recommend opening the back door of your Jeep Wrangler with a spare tire rack mounted on it, as this rack will extend the length of your rear door by quite a bit, and risks damaging other nearby vehicles or your bikes as they may not clear the rear bumper while loaded. According to my research, the spare tire carrier has a weight limit of 85lbs, including the spare tire, any accessories and load. If you are in a situation where you absolutely have to open the rear hatch, be sure that your load is within this maximum weight.
When using this rack, I recommend if you have any women's, step through or aggressive frame bikes (BMX/Mountain) that have tilted or low frames to use an adapter bar like the Swagman Adapter Bar, part # 64005 . This allows the bikes to ride parallel to the ground, rather than at an angle, helping minimize the risk of damage to your vehicle or bikes.
Additionally, no locks are integrated into the Malone RunWay, so I recommend adding a 10 foot cable lock, part # e98891 to provide added security to your rack and bikes by attaching them to each other and the spare tire.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Spare Tire Bike Racks
- Trunk Bike Racks
- Adapter Bar
- 24-3/8 - 33-3/4 Inch Long
more information >
- Cable Locks
- Utility Lock
- Keyed Alike
- 10 Feet Long
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Recommended Towing Mirrors for 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: 30-Amp and 50-Amp RV Service: 8 Things You Need to Know
- Q&A: Can The Furrion Vision S Wireless RV Backup Camera System Be Wired To Run All The Time
- Q&A: 3-Bike Rack Recommendation for 2011 Toyota RAV4
- Q&A: Bike Rack Recommendation for 2005 Honda CR-V
- Article: How to Choose a Spare-Tire-Bike Rack
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: 2023 Best Gifts for RVers & Campers
- Q&A: Recommended Parts to Flat Tow a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Q&A: Best Way To Flat Tow A 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Q&A: Will The Hollywood Racks Destination 2 Cover Up My Reverse Lights On My 2018 Toyota Rav4?
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack That Will Clear a Rear Mounted Spare Tire or Bumper
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class