Recommendation for Replacement 7-Way Connector on Subaru Forester
I have an Escape trailer with a Bargman 7 way connector. I had my Forester wired with a Curt 7 way connector vehicle side. After I accidentally broke the housing I realized the Curt does not insert fully into the Bargman, making for a poor and probably unsafe connection. Do you know what might fit better? I want the same type, which I can wire at the plug. It is similar to this one: PK11893 but is a Curt.
asked by: Bobbie M
If you are needing just a replacement 7-Way connector socket to hardwire into your Subaru Forester, the Pollak Replacement 7-Pole # PK11893 referenced in your question will be a great option. This will work to provide a new 7-Way to connect with the Bargman unit on your trailer. There will not be any fit issues between the two.
I am unsure why your old Curt connector had a hard time matching up with the 7-Way on your trailer. It's possible that one or both of the connectors had some built-up dirt, debris or corrosion inside the pins that may be been preventing a solid connection. Before hooking up and testing out the new 7-Way on your vehicle with the trailer, I recommend checking the trailer 7-Way for any visible dirt or debris, simply cleaning out as needed.
I have attached a short video demonstration on the Pollak connector that you can check out.
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Video: Trailer Wiring Harness Installation - 2017 Subaru Forester
- Shop: Curt Trailer Connector Adapter - 4-Way Flat to 5-Way Flat - Vehicle End
- Q&A: Adding 7-Way Connector to 2018 Subaru Forester with Existing 4-Way
- Shop: Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires
- Shop: Hopkins Plug-In Simple Wiring Harness for Factory Tow Package - 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
- Q&A: Installing a 7-Way Trailer Connector on a 2017 Subaru Outback Wagon
- Shop: T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
- Shop: Mighty Cord Trailer Connector Adapter - 4-Way Flat to 7-Way RV Style - 12" Long
- Search Results: trailer hitch
- Shop: Trailer Hitch
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Video: Choosing the Right Trailer Wiring
- Search Results: hitch
- Shop: 7- and 4-Pole Trailer Connector Socket w/ Mounting Bracket - Vehicle End
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a 4-Way and 7-Way Trailer Connector
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Video: Choosing the Right Brake Controller
- Search Results: trailer hitch wiring
- Shop: Curt Powered Tail Light Converter with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
- Shop: Brake Controller
- Q&A: 7-Way Trailer Plug Adapter or Compatibility with Lance Slide-In Truck Bed Camper
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Video: Tow Ready 4-Pole Mounting Bracket Installation
- Shop: Suspension Enhancement
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: Lug Nut Torque Chart for Trailer Wheels
- Search Results: brake controller
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit