Tail Lights and/or Brake Lights On and Use Turn Signal One side Brightens-Other Side Light Goes Dim
almost got rear ended. I have used several trailer and several converters with green lights that show no problems , but the problem is the 1995 ford ranger with amber turn signals!!! HELP my life and wife and children say THAX for any assistance.
asked by: Randall
It sounds like you have one of two problems. Either the wiring on the 1995 Ford Ranger is not converted as it should be to allow the brake and turn signals to work on the same circuit correctly, or there is a ground issue on the trailer that is showing up when the brakes and turn signals are applied at the same time.
If your trailer wiring does not have an inline converter, like the black box on the # 118325 T-One Harness, then you will need to purchase one and install it. The #118325 harness will plug inline with the tail light connector that is located along the inside of the left rear frame rail at the rear of the truck.
If you have the correct wiring on the Ranger, and the connector is working properly, testing without the trailer attached, you will need to direct your attention to the trailer. Check all of the grounds on the trailer for proper connection to clean, paint, primer and corrosion free parts of the trailer frame. If light brackets are bolted to the trailer frame these connections should be checked and cleaned also. Most trailer lights are grounded through their mounting hardware, so check these connections also if your lights do not have a separate ground wire.
I do not recommend towing this trailer until you have the lighting issues worked out, for safety.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring
- Trailer Hitch Wiring
- Custom Fit
- 4 Flat
more information >
- Q&A: Does Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch 13091 Require Drilling to Install on 2001 Ford Ranger
- Q&A: How to Install a 4-Way Trailer Connector on a 1994 Ford Ranger Truck
- Q&A: Recommended Trailer Hitch Receiver for 2004 Ford Ranger Edge
- Q&A: Distance from Mounting Surface to Bottom of Draw Tite Hitch part # 75082
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Best Boat Accessories
- Q&A: How to Wire a Towed Vehicle With Seperate Turn and Brake Cicuits on Towing Vehicle
- Q&A: How To Install 7-way Connector On 2010 Chevy Express Van 3500 Without Factory 7-way Connector Plug
- Q&A: Connecting Brake Controller Wiring on 2019 Chevy Express Van 3500
- Article: Breakaway Kit Installation for Single and Dual Brake Axle Trailers
- Article: Towing a Trailer? Let's Talk About Brake Controllers
- Article: Troubleshooting 4 and 5-Way Wiring Installations
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: Stability Control for Heavy Duty Vehicles