Troubleshooting Lighting Issue With Curt T-Connector Installed On 2016 Dodge Journey
Just installed the Curt 56109 on my 2016 Dodge Journey. Followed directions to the t. All lights work on the vehicle until I plug the trailer in. The rear driver side light goes out and the trailer lights light up and then go dark. I unplug the trailer and the back light of the vehicle will not come back on until I turn off and then restart the vehicle. Brake lights work on both and signals work on both. Please help. What is the problem. Trailer lights are wired correctly. Works fine on other vehicles.
asked by: Tye
Let's start by making sure you have the correct harness. The Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector # C56109 is a confirmed fit for a 2016 Dodge Journey only if it has Incandescent tail lights. If you have LED tail lights, this harness will not fit. If you have LED tail lights, you will need the Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector # C56330 instead.
If you have the correct harness, then I would start will making sure your ground connection is bare metal to metal. It sounds like there is a power surge that is causing the system to protect itself and shut down until it can be reset or you may be overloading the harness if you have too many lights on your trailer.
Let me know if this doesn't solve the issue and we can continue to troubleshoot.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring
- Trailer Hitch Wiring
- Powered Converter
- Custom Fit
- 4 Flat
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Shop: Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Q&A: What is Needed to Use Saris Door County Bike Rack on 2018 Dodge Journey
- Q&A: How to Tell if 2018 Dodge Journey Has LED or Incandescent Tail Lights
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: 7-Way Extension For Use With Saris Door County Bike Rack
- Q&A: 4-Way Wiring Harness for 2018 Dodge Journey GT With LED Taillights and Incandescent Turn Signal
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Q&A: Best Trailer Hitch for a 2018 Dodge Journey SXT Blacktop Edition
- Q&A: Trailer Hitch and Trailer Wiring Recommendations for 2016 Dodge Journey Crossroad With LED Lights
- Q&A: Trailer Wiring Recommendation for 2018 Dodge Journey with LED Taillights
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Trailer Hitch Installation Tips
- Article: Determining Trailer Tongue Weight
- Article: Rooftop Cargo Carriers